the girl and the maze

The day continued with Y/N and Newt keeping a good distance away from each other.

Y/N went to help Gally with moving the new supplies of wood after breakfast.

But she was always caught lost in her own world, thinking about Newt and why he was so out of character ever since Thomas came.

Gally had to snap her out of it constantly, when she just stared at the ground in deep thought.

But this time, it wasn't Gally that snapped her out of her thoughts. It was the alarm.

Gally immediately paused to take in the sound, and gave a questioning look to Y/N. She shrugged, also curious on what was going on.

"The new greenie just came yesterday." She muttered.

"I told you that Thomas boy was no good." Said Gally as he dropped the wooden plank in his hands with the others. "He's triggered something and you know it!"

It was the first time something like this ever happened. And it was also the first time Y/N actually considered what Gally told her about Thomas.

Is he actually one of the creators? Has he actually triggered something bad?

Guess there was only one way to find out. They finished their work with the supplies and made their way to the big crowd that had gathered around the box.

The box was already opened and as Y/N pushed through the crowd of boys, she knew something else was up.

They were all whispering to each other, all confused, not because of the early arrival but because of Alby and Newt's reaction to the kid in the box.

"What's wrong?" One of the boys yelled as Y/N was finally able to spot Newt.

"Shut it!" Alby yelled. "Tell 'em Newt."

Both of them did looked distressed. Newt shot one more glance at the kid in the box, then the crowd of boys, then looked straight at Y/N with a difficult expression she couldn't read.

"It's a girl."

Y/N paused, to let it sink in. A girl.

After three years of being surrounded by boys, with no one to talk to, or relate to in terms of girls stuff.
After all those years of feeling alone. No matter how strong her bonds were with Newt or the other guys, all those years were spent feeling lonely and empty in the inside, desperate for someone to talk to about certain things you couldn't talk with to a guy.

After all those years, another girl. Just like her, finally, someone she could possibly have that connection with.

But the feelings were mixed. She was happy and excited at one side but nervous and anxious on the other.

She had never talked to a girl in her life except for herself (as far as she could remember). What if she came across as too masculine for her since she has only ever hung out with guys? What if she wasn't really someone to approach?

Just to be sure, Y/N stepped closer and peered down at the kid. It was true.

She had black hair that went below her shoulder and was sprayed on the metal floor as as she lay unconscious.

"Curious." Is all she could say out loud, while her insides were screaming with excitement and anxiety.

These thoughts came and went in less than a second, since in reality, immediately after Newt said 'its a girl' all the boys busrt into talk.

"A girl?"
"I got dibs!"
"What's she look like?"
"How old is she?"

They act like they've never seen a girl before. Basically all the boys that came into the Glade, had fancied her at one point in time.