Part 2

In the media is what she used to look like.

The soft sounds of beeping. The occasional murmer of voices. And never ending pain. Her head hurt, her throat, her legs. All of it a dull ache that never faded away.

Every now and then, she would hear a word and actually know what they said, but before she could comprehend what they ment, her mind went back to fluidity of her unfocused mind.

When Dove finally gained full consciousness, her brown eyes opened, and she found herself in a room similar to the one she was put in to meet her stylist. It was almost dark, but not entirely. There was a machine that gave a little bit of light as it traced her heartbeat across the screen.

When she sat up, the door at the other end of the room opened. A women with blonde hair and purple lips walked in. She was obviously from the capital.

"Hello dear. How are you feeling?"

Dove tried to speak, but all that came out was a gurgle of sounds. She couldn't speak. When she tried, her throat felt horrible.

"Oh, that's right, I forgot. You might be a little confused. I'm here to explain some things to you." The woman said, and Dove nodded. "Okay, as far as the world is concerned, you are dead. Only few people know who you really are. They gave you surgery to make your appearance different."

At that, Dove put her hands on her face, trying to feel what she meant. The lady picked up a mirror and showed her her face. She didn't recognize herself. Her curly red hair was no longer long, red, or curly.

Her hair was shoulder length, and a mousy brown. Her smooth cheeks now had freckles, and her nose was kind of big, bigger than it was. The only thing they seemed to leave alone was her eyes.

"They changed your height to. But that's not all important. You have lost the Hunger Games. That means you should be dead. But because you are still a citizen, we gave you a second chance. As punishment for failing your district, you have been made an Avox."

Dove gasped. 'An Avox? That's why I can't speak.'

"You have five more days of recovery until you are assigned a household to serve. I suggest you behave, or they'll put you in a home that shows discipline." Then, she walked out.

Dove sat back. This was all too confusing. She stood up, and realized the woman was right. They made her short. Usually she would tower over most girls, she was maybe, 5'9. But know, she wasn't even 5'4. That was why her legs were so sore.

She sighed, and walked around the small room, wondering when they were going to take her out.

About half an hour later, a nurse came in, and escorted her to a big room that looked like the training room from before the games.

There were other people there too, twenty two in all. They all looked around with the confused look all over their new faces. Dove recognized none of them.

They were all directed to a group, Dove was put with three others. They all looked at each other, trying to recognize them. One of the people there was obviously Rue. She had the same dark skin. As well as a mischievous look in her eyes.

The other two were guys. She didn't even want to guess who they were. Each group was taught different things an Avox needed to learn. How to cook, how to clean, how to fold clothes. Even how to stand when not needed.

By the time the day was over, Dove was exhausted. They put her in a different room with all the girls. That was where they stayed when not in training.

The room was quiet, and very neat. All the girls did was huddle in small groups and comfort the ones who cried. Dove found herself hanging around Rue. She was quiet even when she had her voice, so it wasn't much of a change.

When the five days were over, all twenty two of them were lined up in order from height. Rue was next to Dove, thanks to her new height.

A door opened and many of the most high ranking capital citizens walked in. Though, the most recognizable was President Snow. He looked at everyone with a knowing eye, but stayed in the back.

A women with big, pink hair and metalic silver makeup walked up and down the line, as if shopping for food. Finally, she stopped in front of Dove and Rue. "I'll take these two!" She said, in a high pitched voice.

The blonde lady from before nodded, and Dove and Rue glanced at each other, then walked with the woman back to her shuttle.

"Okay girls. My name is Genis, and I am your new master." She said when the finally got in and the car was moving. She had a strange glint to her eyes, and a knowing smile. It mad Dove shiver. "I will give you some rules now. Rule number one, no leaving the house without my permission. Rule two, I may not seem very intelligent, but trust me when I say I see everything.

"Rule number three, you are to treat each other, and the others kindly. They are just like you."

'This lady has others? How many Avox's does this woman have?' Dove thought, her gaze wondering outside the window. She watched the trees and other scenery as they passed. She missed her home in district 5, sure it wasn't much, but it was still here.

"Excuse me! Excuse me!" Genis said, clapping her hands in Doves face. She jumped and looked back at the pink haired woman. "You will pay attention when I speak. You never know when I may say something important."

Unable to speak to comply, Dove nodded, and put her head down. Beside her, Rue nudged her with her elbow and smiled at her. She looked so different. Her frizy hair had been tamed, and cut close to her head, and her nose and ears were a different size. And her eyes, they made them green.

Seeing her now was a huge contrast to how she was before. But like the nurse from before said, that's how it goes.