Chapter 20: Light up the Sky

A week had passed since the inferno incident, and Y/n was getting sick of being on her obligatory bed rest. She didn't even get to stay in her own room, which was why she was currently taking up residence in Mori's bed chamber, all the while looking the prettiest mummy no one had ever seen. He didn't actually stay in his room while she was there, but he would still visit her multiple times a day in order to check on her condition. At least this day finally marked the end of her treatment.

There was a knock at the door, and Mori poked his head in like some mischievous fox. "Oh, you're up? How are you feeling?" He said, walking in and sitting next to her on the edge of the bed. "Let me check." He unwrapped the bandages around her numerous wounds, observing how well her stitches were healing.

"I'm dandy. Now when can I leave?" Y/n said, staring at Mori as he tended to her.

"Maybe in a month or so," he said, smiling.

She glared. "Quit screwing with me. My muscles are going to go limp if I stay in here any longer. I promise I won't do anything extreme until I'm fully healed, but at least let me walk around somewhere. It's not like I broke my legs." Being practically wrapped from head to toe in bandages not only made her feel pathetic, but it was also uncomfortable because it limited her movements so much.

After applying new bandages, he looked back at her with a grin. "Your wounds do seem to be healing properly, but I've quite enjoyed getting to keep you to myself," he said, moving his face closer to hers.

She tilted her head away, rolling her eyes in response. "Then keep me to yourself elsewhere. I'm bored out of my mind."

Mori patted her head. "We'll go somewhere later this evening."

"Where to, my keeper?" She said, turning her the corner of her lips up with wide eyes full of cheekiness.

"It's a secret," he said, winking at her. "Wear whatever you like, but I suggest it's something comfortable."

"Why can't we go now?" Y/n was glad that he was finally letting her leave, but this thing he had planned wouldn't be until another several hours from now, so she was still getting impatient.

"Because I'll be busy until then." It's also not ready yet, he thought. "Just promise me you'll stay here for now, okay?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, sir," she said, mocking him.

Mori smirked. "Oh, you want to play that game?"

"Didn't you say you were busy?"

"Not terribly so if it's for you," he replied, holding her injured cheek and kissing her lips. He pulled back, sighing. "But for now, you must rest here." He gently motioned for her to lay back down on the pillow and pulled the covers over her. "You don't want your ripped stitches spoiling tonight, do you?"

"Or maybe I can request a new doctor. They might even give me better treatment than you do," she said with a straight face, egging him on.

Mori grinned, leaning over her. She lightly smirked in response, avoiding his gaze, as she felt the impish irritation in his demeanor. "We wouldn't want to spill more blood now, would we?"

"I bet you'd like that. Then I might be bound here forever."

He chuckled, leaning back. "I'd never do such a thing to you, Y/n. But just know that anyone else who gets this close to you is fair game."

"Then, for the well-being of humanity, I should probably avoid stepping foot outside ever again."

"If that is what you desire, consider it done," he said with a chipper smile.