Chapter 19: Burn It Down

Back at the Angels' hideout, Fyodor's words sunk deeper into Y/n's head as she tried to grasp what his true plan really was.

"Are you telling me to choose between the Port Mafia or those children? Why wouldn't I just kill you here?" If a glare was enough to pierce his skull, then this conversation would have ended long ago.

"I could be persuaded to let them both live if you tell me where the Book is," Fyodor replied. He still wasn't planning on letting Y/n have a choice in the matter, but if he could kill two, or three, birds with one stone, why not try?

She scoffed, rolling her eyes at him. "Like I'd know where it is."

"But your parents did," he said, smirking.

Her eyes tensed into a glare. It's true that they were the ones in charge of protecting it, but after they died, she had no clue where it had ended up. She just assumed that the Special Division took it with them along with their charred corpses. Even still, if her parents weren't willing to give it up in their lifetime, then why would she do anything but the same? That would be a disgrace to her name.

"Look, I don't know what happened to it, nor do I care, so just tell me where they are, or I'll make you," she said.

He smiled. "Are you sure you don't care? Because the Port Mafia will once they realize that you've gambled with their prosperity. Help me find the Book, and you won't have to worry about all the agony it's brought you hitherto. We can rid this world of ability users together if you quit being so greedy."

She paused. Would I still be me without my ability? Could I even stay in the Port Mafia if that happened? She thought. "I don't need it," she said. "I have other things that are worth more than that stupid book could ever bring me."

"What could be worth more than the chance to abolish this world of its wretched sinners and filth?"

"For now"—she breathed in, dashing towards him—"it's killing you!" She ignited her flames with the intent of permanently blinding him. Before she could reach him, he whipped out a taser and pressed it to her neck. The pain made Y/n lose her balance before he kicked her to the ground. Her bloody face smirked through her grimacing expression. "I'd sure like a mirror right about now," she said.

Fyodor chuckled at her futile attempt to attack him, and was very impressed by her short-sighted boldness. He kneed her in the gut before grabbing her arm, pinning it behind her back, and pressing her face to the floor.

"It seems I was right not to underestimate you. This feistiness of yours is quite intriguing, I will admit. Feel free to show me more," he said, twisting her arm even further.

"Ha, you're toast when I'm free, for sure," she said, gritting her teeth. Shit, is he really going to break my arm? It was a good thing she was flexible.

"You sure try hard for them, and for what? To prove that you're more than just a pathetic orphan girl who only ends up getting left behind by those she reveres most? I'm sorry. I must not pity you, but you make it so easy," he said, sadistically grinning as he leaned in closer to her ear. "But don't worry. I won't leave you behind. Eternity is what you've been searching for, no? I will grant you that which you desire from the depths of your heart."

Y/n coughed as blood dripped from the crevices of her mouth. He was pressing his knee against her back, which made it hard for her lungs to expand properly. She wanted to use her ability, but the piercing pain coursing through her was making it hard for her to focus.

"Have you made your decision yet?" Fyodor asked as Y/n continued to grunt and squirm under his weight. "If you keep making this difficult, then maybe I should choose for you."