• Office Talk •

– A T H E N A –

Almost a week had passed since our arrival at the mansion. I'd say that Diego was the chillest and nicest of all the brutes.

It was during one particularly quiet night that I heard a strange noise coming from the roof. Curiosity getting the best of me, I opened the window to investigate, peeking out to discern its source.

To my surprise, I spotted a figure climbing the upper tiles, navigating the rooftop with apparent ease.

It was Diego. If it wasn't for the strange way we met each other, mostly embarrassing when he looked at me, first taken by surprise but he quickly replaced his startled look with an amused smirk.

"Oh, you're still up?" Diego's playful tone broke the silence, his eyes meeting mine as I peered out from the window.

I felt a sense of discomfort seeing him up there. We didn't know each other well, and his presence on the roof seemed out of place.

"Yeah, quite the surprise when you're making such loud noises," I replied, internally surprised by my sudden confidence.

"Wait what? Was I being too noisy all that time?" I watch his expression shift into worry as if he had just realized that he was noisy the whole time. I smile lightly, nodding.

He just mutters some profanities to himself before sitting down on the tiles beside my window's roof.

"Wanna join?" He asks amused as I stare at him bewildered.

"I–Isn't that a bit risky?" I retort from my window, my voice tinged with uncertainty as he stares at me adamantly.

"C'mon!  It's not every day you get to hang out on the roof!" He still insists with a manipulating tone as he gestures for me to join him, leaving me faced with two choices.

It might be very dangerous and risky, and I had an intense fear of heights. But I didn't want to come across as a scaredy-cat on our first opportunity to bond as long-lost siblings.

I take a resolute step over the window stool, my hand clutching the wall for support. Diego's hand extended towards me, offering help, and without hesitation, I reached out and allowed him to guide me up onto the mansion's roof.

My nerves eased as I climbed over the tiles to join him at the edge of the mansion's roof.

"Honestly, you're the first person to come up here to this spot with me," Diego remarked, and for some reason, his words warmed me.

"Don't get too excited. It's just because you caught me in the middle of the act. Also, I'd prefer if you didn't mention this to Kingston."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes in disappointment and annoyance. It seemed like everyone was sneaking around behind Kingston's back, and now they were assuming I'd rat them out.

"Should've considered being discreet next time," I mutter under my breath which was audible enough for him to chuckle.

"May I ask you a question?" I begin timidly.

"Go ahead."

"What are you doing on the roof at such an hour?" I ask.

"Well, sometimes I like to sneak out of my window for fun. And..." He paused, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"And?"

"Sometimes I sneak back from parties to my room." He admitted, smirking.

"And which time was this one?"

"Do I smell like weed?" He asked, confirming my assumption as I chuckled and nodded in response.

Oh. So he was high. How didn't I notice his red swollen eyes and sudden friendly demeanour? I should've suspected that from the first look. I should've known that he wasn't a bit sober to just randomly decide to invite his sister into his night escapade.