Chapter Eleven

The crown bought the Lennox Company a new boarding house. Within sight of the theater, it was not the lush mansions and flats of the Rumonin National, but a considerable step up from our old residence. The rooms were more spacious and we had more of them, which allowed the corps to spread out and even have their own beds. Morale improved with the new space, and even I felt a little lighter knowing that I could retire to a bed with a thick blanket and no smell of mildew and dust.

The only downside to it all was the reason that we had been moved. The riots. The girls liked to try and make light of it by constantly thanking the Common Army for their new housing, but even they understood that the rioting threatened the people who made sure our theater stayed funded.

On the other hand, business had not been better in a very long time. Despite the looting and street shootings, bejeweled ladies and gentlemen poured into the theater, dressed in their finest and clapping almost reverently at each curtain. Perhaps they wished to forget the troubles and dangers that now demanded their attention, or perhaps they wished to show the Common Army how proud they were of their blood and traditions. In either case, they came night after night, indefatigable in their patronage of our one show.

So when Mr. Lennox finally announced that we were to dance an entirely new ballet, it became almost a national event. The luxurious dress shops and fancy cafes broadcast it on posters in their windows, and the newspapers couldn't get enough of trumpeting the fact that the king would be in attendance at the premiere.

No expense was spared. New sets built, with props that near perfectly mimicked real life. Our costumes were designed and sewn by Missi Tauto, the absolute top woman in fashion. Special music was commissioned from famous composers, and photographs of me on pointe and in costume were taken and put on everything from the programs to chocolate wrappers. Anything to be done that could dazzle was done.

To add to the growing public excitement, a few of our rehearsals were opened to journalist from select newspapers. They were never shown the whole ballet, but just enough to make their articles gush about how wise the king was to support such an undertaking. So, while the beady eyed reporters scribbled in their notepads, I took on the role of the endearingly precocious village girl and her rise to become a goddess.

In my regal gown, with a tiara amongst my curled hair, I demonstrated the second to last dance from the final act. The village girl, now a goddess with loyal devotees, scorns the wretched creature that spent the entire ballet trying to woo her with diamonds and pearls. She dances around it nimbly, while it shuffles on crippled legs, trying to keep up.

Rachel played the creature, dressed in ragged trousers and shirt, and sporting impressive makeup and a wig to render her hideous. She seemed to love the part as well, shambling after me and falling with dramatic abandon any time I delivered a fake slap or kick. The reporters loved it as well, as we found after we read their articles. The new Lennox Company ballet seemed to have a keen eye on current events, and the creature that plagues the stunning princess clearly was drawing a line to others of those who might wish to destroy ancient traditions.

On opening night, we danced to a packed house. Every seat filled with women in navy dresses and men sporting jackets and ties in that same color. Across their chests, they wore silk sashes with a cameo of the king on it. Everyone swelled with pride as the kingdom's anthem played and the village girl rose to her rightful position of power as the goddess. By the time the creature was to come on for the final time before the ballet ended, the people could barely contain their excitement. I felt their eyes on me as I stood by the throne, my chin up and hands resting on the scepter of my rule.