Chapter Five

"What do you want?" I asked, pulling my arms close as a young man dashed past to catch a thrown cake. Ferdinand dropped one of my hands but held the other between us.

"You looked lonely," he said. "I didn't want you for anything, I just thought you might like to join us."

"Just give it up, Ferdinand," Gertrude said. "She thinks she's too good for us. Our parties don't interest her."

Everyone froze, watching us closely. I felt like running back to Mr. Lennox, but I knew it would only make Gertrude's point. So instead, I looked her back directly in the eye and frowned. "That's not true."

"You wouldn't even come to welcome Ferdinand into the company," she said. Then to Ferdinand, "It's a lost cause."

"I was injured. Mr. Lennox sent me home," I said, looking to Ferdinand in a hope that he might believe me and not assume, like all the others, that I had merely sneaked off to avoid him.

"It's okay, Nadia," he said. "You hurt your ankle. It wasn't your fault."

Gertrude, obviously still unimpressed, turned her attention to one of her friends. With her went the hostile mood, and everyone slowly began to resume their activities. Ferdinand reached behind a boy and girl failing miserably at a waltz, and fetched a glass of champagne.

"Thirsty?" he asked, holding it out to me.

I shook my head. "No, I'm fine." The condensation of the glass dripped onto my dress. Ferdinand pulled it back and began to sip from it himself. We lapsed into silence.

Our hands still hung joined between us, but I thought for certain he would pull away as soon as he could. My company was not exactly the most captivating. With Mr. Lennox, I had grown into our own language after years sharing the same spaces. Talking was not required. We simply moved through our routines, and should something change, the other seemed to almost sense it and shift to accommodate. Here, though, with a boy my own age and the girls I'd known most of my life, I drew a blank on how to act. With seamless grace they managed to create spectacle and fun with every move. I stood hopelessly mute.

                From over my shoulder I heard a commotion, but didn't think anything of it until a cold cascade of water ran down the front and side of my dress. The girls began to laugh as I shrunk away, spinning to see one of the boys sheepishly helping up a waiter. A tray of drinks lay scattered on the ground, their champagne sinking into the carpet and my shoes. Ferdinand glared at the boy as he snatched a napkin from the table and pushed it into my hand. As I dabbed at my bodice, the orchestra began a new song with a lively tune. The girls all began to yell and scramble to find partners, jostling me back and forth between them. Ferdinand, forced away from me by the laughing crowd, tried to grab my hand, but as I reached for him someone's elbow landed on my jaw. Lights flashed in my vision and I stumbled backward.

                "Nadia!" Ferdinand appeared at my side, cupping my back and leading me away from the throng. I nodded my head, feeling along my jaw until the pain throbbed in a particular spot. Hopefully it wouldn't bruise, otherwise I would have to wear extra makeup to any performances.

                "Come on, let's get somewhere quieter," Ferdinand said.

                We walked to a door that stood closed against one of the walls. On the other side was a hallway, too grand to be for servants, but not grand enough to be one that guests normally walked through. The silence it afforded felt like a miracle, and I slumped against the wall with my eyes closed and breathed in the fresh air not tainted with so many bodies.

                "I think perhaps mixing the girls with noble boys was not the best idea," I gasped.

                Ferdinand snorted, and I cracked an eye open to catch him grinning. I smiled back, resting my forehead in my hand and shaking my head.