Candy Hearts (Valentine's Day) Part 3

Hermione wakes up with a bubble of excitement and fear in her chest. Today is the day. But she still doesn't know who's been writing her letters and no one has asked her on a date yet. For once she didn't want to spend the night alone in the library. She wanted to maybe just this once be like all the other girls. 

She dresses in her uniform book of potions tight in her arm and bag slung over the other. She tries to reason with herself that even if no one askes her out and even if she never finds her mystery lover, someone somewhere liked her enough to write her notes and beautiful silver ink on mysterious black paper. 

She meets Harry and Ron down at breakfast and they all sit down to eat, tension still tight between them all. Ron and Harry both pick unhappily at their breakfasts. Hermione decides to not ask about how the quest to get dates is going as she guess by their attitudes, its not well.

They all eat in silence. Hermione was taking a sip of chocolate milk when a gray owl comes swooping down to plop a small package in her lap. Ron and Harry perk up to see what she's gotten. "Who gave you a package?" Ron asks. 

"I don't know," Hermione replies. "My parents don't have an owl and no one else would send me anything."

"Well, lets see then." Ron takes a long drink of his pumpkin juice. 

Hermione looks down at the small square package tied with a neat red ribbon. She tugs on one of the ends and the silk falls away. Then she tears into the paper. She unwraps a box and on top of the box is another black note. Hermione covers the box and note with the paper and looks up at Harry and Ron. "I remember now, my cousin got an owl and they wanted to send me something. I guess they just did." Hermione stands quickly leaving half her breakfast untouched. "I'm going to go check on the, raspberry juice," She says in a whisper.  She means the Amortenia and she doesn't wait for her friends to answer before she dashes off to open her present in secret. 

She runs all the way to the prefects bathroom. Then and only then does she allow herself to lift the lid of the box and read her note.

Since I'm the one who gets to talk at you all day, you deserve to talk back. Let's start a conversation... Besides someone with a heart a sweet as yours needs something sweet to eat.

In the box holds little pastel colored conversation hearts little red letters provide her with only sappy cheesy sayings to reply to her mystery author. She blushes and picks out a pink heart with the words 'Be True' and plops it on her tongue. The heart tastes sweet and after a moment she crunches down on it and the candy breaks easily. Next Hermione decides she will finish the potion for later today. 

As she walks down to potions class, down a long twisting stairwell, the windows outside show a bright blue sky doted with fluffy white clouds. Hermione knows, however that all the sun is just a trick because the chill outside is so cold you'll be shivering within two minutes. That doesn't stop the scenery from being close to perfect. 

The air around her chills and she knows that she's almost stretched the bottom of the stairwell. The dark hall lit with flickering lanterns lengthens out before her. Potions is the worst walk to tackle by yourself, but Hermione was subtly trying to avoid another fight with Ron and Harry. 

Snap was just instructing them on how to brew Amortentia, which Hermione was confident she could already do. Along that subject, it prompted Harry to tap on Hermione's shoulder and whisper in her ear, "The potion is all ready, right?" 

Hermione nods and Harry grins. He writes on an empty corner of her notes, "Midday at lunch?" It said. 

Hermione scrawls under his message a simple, "Yes."