Snow One Can Tell Us No

(During the 5th year but just because of the O.W.L.s, nothing else from the 5th year relates to this.)

Hermione was going to go home for Christmas, but the O.W.L.s were coming up so soon she couldn't bring herself to relax. There was just so much to do. Her parents had booked a lovely cruise to the Americas anyway. 

Snow was softly falling overhead as she waved goodbye to Ron and Harry. Harry was going to spend the Holidays with Ron, as much as Mrs. Weasley loved Harry, she wanted to see her son this year, and rather than let Harry spend the Holidays alone she invited him 

"Bye!" She yells to her best friends. 

"See you on Christmas day?" Harry calls back to her.

"Wouldn't miss it," She replies, her smile wide. 

"See ya, Hermione," Ron waves. 

Hermione walks herself to the library to get some serious studying done because those O.W.L.s won't O themselves. The whole castle is so quiet it feels as if she is the only one there. The halls are still lined with pine garland and tall trees are dotted everywhere and decorated with giant shining ornaments. When she gets to the library, she takes her list of books from her pocket and begin scanning the shelves. Snowflakes hang from the ceiling and a glowing crackling fire heats the whole room. The librarian has also put up a tall pine tree dressed with red ribbon garland and ornaments made from old book pages folded into stars, birds, fans, and spheres. 

She adds a particularly large book to my pile and reach for another when she sees two stormy grey eyes staring back at her. She jumps back startled lifting her book high as to shield herself from the intruder. 

"What!" Hermione screeches. 

The voice returns yelling something inaudible but it sounds like a long string of curses. 

"Who's there?" She asks. 

"Draco Malfoy, you imbecile," The voice responds. 

"Oh," Hermione drops the book from her face, "What are you doing here, Malfoy?" 

"Reading, what else do you do in a library?" 

 Hermione rolls her eyes, "I meant here, at Hogwarts."

"I could ask you the same thing," He says from behind the book shelf.

"You first," Hermione says defiantly, sitting down on the the table lining the shelf, her back to the books. 

"No you."

"Fine," She begins, "I'm studying for my O.W.L.s."

"Oh, of course you are." She can practically hear his distaste. 

"Don't ask a question, if you don't want the answer," She spits, "It's your turn."  

"What's it to you?" Draco growls. Hermione hears shifting and a book drop, another curse, foot steps, then silence. She releases a breath. 

"He's so annoying," She sighs. 

Something soft runs over her hand. She squeals in surprise. A small white mouse is staring up at her with soft gray curious eyes. "Well, hello there." 

The mouse looks once more at her before scurrying off in the other direction. Hermione sighs, picks up her spells book and lumbers over to the velvet plush couch pushed next to the fire. She plops down and begins to study. 

 The next moment Hermione is laying down on the couch, her book dropped on the floor, and her neck aching. She smells something warm and spicy. She looks to the side groaning at her neck to see a mug of spiced tea and a plate of sugar cookies shaped like Christmas ornaments and owls. Next to her plate the little white mouse stares back at her. He looks at the plate of cookies and then back again at her. She smiles to herself scooping up the mouse. He holds onto her thumb as she breaks off a piece of cookie for him. She places it in her palm and he takes a hold of it and nibbles.