Pieces

|3 Days Later, Polar Tang|

The room is heavy with the weight of silence. Rhythmic beeping is the only sound that echoes. Law spends another sleepless night at her side, staring at her ceiling. Sorna's heartbeats with strength, and she breathes under her own power, but her eyes haven't opened since the operation. Periodically, they flutter, hope inside him fluttering with them. Then, they stall, his hope stalling with them. All her stats point to recovery, yet her eyes remain closed.

"Give it up, mate. Her mind is gone."

The words have been on repeat in Law's head for days now.

'Come on, Sorna, I know you're not gone. Find your way home'

While Law continues to count the seams in the ceiling of Sorna's room, her eyes flutter once more. Her mind ensnared in a distant memory...

....

|Roughly 13 years ago, Unknown Location North Blue|

'What's that noise?'

Surrendering to her curiosity, young Sorna peeked around the corner into the hallway of her house, awoken from sleep by two voices in the early morning hours. With the coast clear, she tiptoed quietly down the hallway's stone floor, drawn toward the sounds. The voices, unmistakably her parents', carried a weight far removed from their usual loving banter, filling the space with a heavy tension.

Bathed in the soft glow of a single dim lamp, her parents stood in the foyer, her father gripping his bag, her mother clinging to him tightly.

From her discreet perch at the hall's entrance, Sorna could only see her mother's face etched with a look of near terror. This sight filled Sorna with an indescribable worry. Her mother, typically a pillar of stoicism, exuded love and warmth but seldom displayed her emotions. Witnessing such an expression on her mother's face was not just rare for Sorna; it was unprecedented.

"I'm telling you, (...), you can not go!" Sorna's mother whispered firmly, her hands planted on her father's shoulders, as though she were trying to anchor him in place.

Her father stood with his back to Sorna, but even if he had faced her, it wouldn't have made a difference. Her mind had obscured both his image and name, leaving only a shadowy outline before her mother. Whenever her mother uttered his name, her lips moved clearly, yet no sound reached Sorna's ears. His head hung low, torn between staying or leaving.

"Kohko, I have to. There is someone waiting for me, and I can't give up on them." His voice was saddened but resolute.

Sorna watched as her mother's face twisted into a rage, her grip tightening on her father, "(...), you are not listening to me. If you leave now, you will never enter this house again. You will never see either of us again, and you will take me with you."

Kohko's pure white hair seemed to float around her, as if animated by her anger, while her silver eyes, glittering with sadness, were on the verge of spilling over with tears. Sorna's worry quickly morphed into fear. Whatever had her mother so intensely expressive must be dire, catastrophic even.

Her father raised his hands to Kohko's cheeks, holding them tenderly in his grip, "I know you are afried, but I have battled destiny before and won. This time will be no different."