1...🦋

***Aaliyah's POV ***

I woke up to my Fajr alarm that was ringing so loud that I was sure my neighbours would be able to hear it.
I turned it off as I sat on the bed.

I felt a weird sensation below me.

It couldn't be that I peed on the bed.
I quickly stood up and checked the bed sheet and it was smeared with blood.

How could I completely forget that I was going to have my period this week.

I inspected the duvet and hoped that it was not covered in the same substance as the bedsheet. Thankfully it wasn't.

I took the bedsheets to the bathroom and soaked them in hot water before I took care of my situation right now.

I decided I would wash the sheets after I got back from my stroll.

I usually go out on a stroll whenever I start my period and I don't have any reasons for it. I just started it one day and I liked it.

I thought about how stressful today was going to be with all the bathroom breaks I had to take every hour and the cramps that would increase after it had gotten better.

*****:::*****:::******

"Aaliyah!!" I heard my mother call out to me.
"Na'am! (yes!)" I answered as I quickly put on my dress. I rushed out to her.

"Yawwa, ďoko mun remote ďinnan (get me that remote)" She said when I immediately entered the living room. I couldn't help but smile at her because the remote was literally on the coffee table.

I handed it to her and wondered why African mothers are like this.

"Shikenan ko (that's all, right)" I said and she answered with a hum in agreement.
I went back to my room and finally started to dress up well.

I did my skincare routine which consisted of washing my face with warm water and then layering it up with Vaseline and sunscreen.

I later put on a bit of lip gloss and tied my Ankara headscarf and brought out a matching veil just in case I were to go out today.

I looked at myself in the mirror and admired how pretty I looked in my Ankara gown that was snatched at my waist and was free from my waist down.
I almost forgot to wear earrings and some jewellery.  I decided on some simple jewellery designs to match my outfit and Boi did i look beautiful.

I almost didn't believe it was me mainly because I never really bothered about dressing up.

I took some pictures on Snapchat and sent them to my besties.

Just then I felt hungry. Right, I didn't eat breakfast.
I headed for the kitchen downstairs to find food warmers on the counter.

I wasn't surprised to see masa in one of the food warmers because it's become a tradition to have masa every Friday. The next one was filled with brown rice and it smelled so good. The last one had peppered chicken in it which is my favorite. I mean who doesn't love CHICKEN! No one is talking about vegetarians here.

I served myself the rice and chicken before I took a chilled drink from the fridge and went straight to the living room upstairs where my mother was.

"Aaliyah! Keche haka( is that you)" Umma said as soon as I set foot into the parlour.  She was clearly surprised at how I looked fresh today.

"Iyyi, umma nayi kyau koh (Yes, Umma I look good right)" I said moving to her front and twirling around.

"You look very good fah, you should be dressing like this every day,  Amma matsalan shine baki sa kwalli ba( but the problem is you didn't put kohl)"