Chapter 7 GREAT HALL

HERMIONE GRANGER waited patiently with nerves building up. She had always hated speaking in front of public audiences. The Great Hall was a blaze with chatter about the upcoming Quidditch Game, as Head Girl and Boy; they were required to make a speech at the start of supper to inform students about the upcoming social activities at the school. Hermione hated public speaking but took one for the team. "Good evening, myself and Malfoy on behalf of the prefects are delighted to share the social activities for the coming term. We welcome everyone back and hope the new students have gotten settled into their new houses. You are otherwise welcome to approach your house prefects with any questions, concerns that you may have. Could the prefects please rise and identify yourselves" a scattering of individuals stood up and waved their hands before sitting down again.

"We will have Quidditch Games, as usual, with Hufflepuff against Slytherin in the first round and Ravenclaw against Gryffindor in the next. The prefects are also planning a Christmas Ball to take place at the end of the term. Academic assistance will be available in the different common rooms, as well as the library, look out for the posters to inform you further" the school had realised that they had never really heard Draco Malfoy speak so much to a public audience, he had tended to keep within his group of friends. It was strange for so many to hear Malfoy say so much, with no trace of snarky sass.

"Thank you for your time, enjoy your dinner." Hermione ended before taking a step back. They slowly turned and took a seat at the teacher's table. It was required that they sat there on bigger meal events such as today's.

McGonagall smiled at them both as they took their seats. As they ate their meal in silence, she was struck by how well- mannered Malfoy was while he ate. The fact in itself was not a surprise to her, but after spending so much time with Ron and Harry, she was taken a back at how peaceful a meal could be.

"How are you finding your studies?" Hermione asked, wanting to end the silence that clung to them. It was strange, their last conversation was so deep, but with the entire school as an audience she found that she could not.

"Well enough. I am caught up again." He stated. Hermione smiled and cut a piece of her potato. "And yourself?" he forced. He noted that the conversation was drier than the potatoes he ate.
"I am. But I defiantly missed the library and reading new books" she smiles with a nod. "Are you reading anything particularly interesting at the moment?" she asked again. Taking a cut at her potato before placing the small piece in her mouth. She felt determined to keep trying to get to know Draco Malfoy better.
"I am reading a book about the magical creatures of the great lakes of the United States" Draco added, Hermione almost dropped her fork, at how interesting it sounded. She was curious, and to her surprise Draco sat happily breaking down the composition of life and conditions of the lakes. The chatting couple caught the glances of most of the student body, but they didn't even notice until their places were cleared.
"I might have to borrow it one of these days, if you do not mind of course" she was quick to add with a smile. "Good evening, Malfoy" she smiled before walking towards the Gryffindor table where her friends were standing up. "I felt so nervous, I hope I made sense?" she asked Neville who congratulated her on her public speech.

"You were excellent" he complemented again with a smile. Harry and Ron did not say anything, so Ginny looped her arm around Hermione's and walked out of the hall with her.
"Harry and Ron were saying how strange it was for you to be talking to Malfoy, but I thought it was quite nice: to not hate each other after the war." Luna's voice added on the other side of Hermione.

"Well, we work together, we agreed to be professional" Hermione agreed before Luna waved and wandered in the other direction. "Harry, you going to play in the Quidditch game then?" she asked.

"I suppose, but it has been a while, hasn't it?" he added.
"You have to start somewhere; you have time to train before your game. So, you are in luck with that" Ginny assured. The Gryffindor common room was filled with chattering once they returned and it being a Friday, it was not long until chatters of secret parties began to bubble. Hermione did her best to close her ears and allow the kids a moment of fun. But soon found herself pulling on a warm sweater, puffy muggle boots and jacket and walking towards its intended location. She didn't want to partake in anything but still wanted to be sure that no one got themselves killed.

Muggle music played and a fire was lit in the centre, she watched as people danced and sang happily. The thought of everyone requesting hangover remedies from the medical wing in the morning, almost made her laugh to herself. Pulling out her muggle book she stretched her legs out and began to read. "Granger you aren't going to join?" A voice from the side yelled. She noticed it to be a young Gryffindor she had spoken to the other day. Declining with a small smile she watched the kid skip down to the festivities.

In another world, she thought. That could have been her. Happily dancing without a care in the world. Excited to experience pure happiness in a moment with no responsibilities and worries for the future. Perhaps she would be in love, she always liked the thought of spending a day with someone cuddled in front of a roaring fire, reading books, going on adventures. Someone who wouldn't rush her through a museum as she read all the texts, or someone who would listen to her stories and have a genuine interest in her interest. It made sense why Ron would not work for her. To some extent, she dreamed of having a life where she was more than the broken girl who fought a war, and who was Harry Potters best friend. She wanted someone to see her as herself. Just plain old, frizzy haired, buck teeth Hermione Jean Granger.