Chapter 5 HEADMISTRESS OFFICE

MEDERA sat happily sipping a cup of tea in the headmistress's office. Happily, enough Minerva McGonagall was smarter than Kingsley and caught on quickly. She did not seem to like the idea placed before her; but understood the repercussions none the less. "I am just asking for you to inspire Miss Granger and Mr Malfoy to spend some time together. Let fate do the rest." McGonagall raised her eyebrow and sighed softly without another word.

"I will try once" she agreed. Medera smiled and left her friend to her work. The only thing that she could think to do was to call the pair to her office. Hermione was surprised to have been summoned to McGonagall's office out of the blue, she was even more surprised to have sat next to none-other than Draco Malfoy.

"Thank you both for coming so quickly. We have decided that both of you shall be Head Girl and Boy this term. Both your grades and previous experiences as prefects places you as the natural candidates for this position."
Hermione sat stunned. "I would like to focus on my studies Headmistress. I am of course honoured by your offer" she added quickly, as soon as Malfoy had interjected to say the same.

"To be honest, I do not think anyone would listen to anything I had to say. Thank you for the offer" Draco added, finding himself to strangely, for the first time in his entire life, to agree with Hermione. McGonagall smiled at herself, perhaps Medera was on the right track this time.

"The best leaders are those who do not seek power. All I want of you to try it, and after a week – we shall rediscuss. For now, the prefects need leadership, I trust you to chair the meeting tomorrow with the skills that I know you both possess." Hermione silenced and nodded, she knew McGonagall was not asking for permission, she glanced at Draco who nodded as well. With a final dismissal, the pair walked out of the room in silence.
"She is right, you out of anyone deserve this." Draco admitted out of the blue. Hermione stilled; he had never said anything kind about her before. His face was polluted with the guilt and shame she had seen on all the Slytherin students faces. She knew that he did not deserve the pain he went through either, none of them did.

"Thank you, Malfoy. She was right about you too. You were a prefect, with good grades. Your house looks up to you. We all just got delt a shitty hand" she shrugged. It was a muggle expression, but he caught her gambling reference well enough. "I will see you tomorrow night" she nodded before moving further down the hallway. Hermione Granger never backed down from a fight, they both knew that to be true and Draco Malfoy was the unfortunate one to be dragged around this time.
In the Great Hall, he took a moment to observe the Gryffindor table, where Hermione sat with Neville Longbottom, far away from Weaslebee, Harry and Ginny Weasley. It was strange to see a such clear fracture in the Golden Trio. The war had caused more damage than he had given it credit for. The rest of the school did not realise the position he now held and looking from Hermione's current actions; no one knew about her either. The day of classes dragged on, and with one last brain aching hour they were released from the day. The prefects waited patiently in the Great Hall when Hermione and Draco walked into the room. Their joint entrance left mouths agape and shocked gasps. "Good evening, everyone, we will not keep you too long. I am pleased to be your Head Girl this year, I hope that if you have any questions or concerns that you may come to me. I look forward to a productive year with you all. Draco Malfoy will be serving as Head Boy" she paused looking at Malfoy. It was perhaps the first time that Draco had ever heard her call him by his first name.
"Thank you, Granger. I agree. McGonagall is trusting us to serve our positions well" he nodded. Hermione asked everyone to introduce themselves and explained the rules of being a prefect. After thirty minutes they excused the room. "Good evening." He had become a man of little words she found. Draco had not said anything the whole meeting, which was out of character of him. Hermione skipped over the twisting stairs into the Gryffindor common room.
"Hermione!" Ron called as she walked in. It appeared that today was the day she had to sit down and talk to Ron. It felt strange after everything that happened during the war, she felt like a new person. An individual who admired Ron as a friend and loved him as a brother. Somehow, she found herself calming after the war to realise that she had always been transfixed on the idea of the type of person he was, and not who he was as a person. She found that she loved the comfort he brought her. After all, the Burrow was one of the first magical places that she had ever felt at home. His mannerisms were familiar and calming in their world that had only ever been chaos.
"Good evening, Ron" she started politely, keen to set the attitude. She placed her things on the table and sat in an armchair. She waited for Ron to sit as well before talking. "I am sorry for avoiding you" her comment had caught him rightfully off guard.
"I just don't understand" he started leaning forward. "We said we would talk, and we never did".
"We were grieving Ron. Our emotions were everywhere. We went through the most horrific of times. And when it all ended, I felt so empty. I felt so lost. The war was over,

and I found myself wanting to be more, more than Harry Potter's friend, or the bushy haired part of the Golden Trio. Being with you means that I am stuck there, and I..." she breathed. The words were coming out harsher than she thought. "I cannot love you like you need to be loved Ron" she whispered before mustering her Gryffindor courage to meet his eye.
"I didn't think you could be so unkind Hermione. After everything..." he started, she smiled sadly and leaned forward.
"Exactly. After everything, you deserve someone who puts you first, above all else Ron" he nodded, before standing to retreat to his room. Hermione sucked in a painful breath. She hated herself for doing that to him. Tears streamed from her eyes, as she stood to retreat herself. Hermione found herself in the prefects' baths. Moaning Myrtle was splashing around in the tub. "What's wrong with you Hermione?" Myrtle asked.
"Nothing. Just tiered" she whispered with a soft smile. Happy to not listen to her own thoughts, she listed to Myrtle drone on about little things she was up to. The mindless chatter was a welcome relief from her own thoughts. Hermione found herself reliant on sleeping droughts and relaxing charms. Her body did not seem to work in the same way that it once had. Her mind had always been ten steps ahead, and quick to break down complex ideas. She found herself exhausted and feeling ten steps behind.
"You deserve a break. After everything I saw during the war" Myrtle adds again sitting down next to the girl.
Hermione smiled "I know, but it still feels like everyone is relying on me and trusting me to do the right thing". Somehow, she had come to realise a lot of things after the war. Most importantly, that she was right. She had forgotten to be the bushy haired girl; instead, she had gotten too good at playing pretend.