9

Alex approached Megan sternly, his muscles bulging under his shirt, and Megan couldn't help but stare at them. Alex took her hand and pulled her aside so that no one could hear them.

"What are you doing here?" Alex said indignantly, almost through gritted teeth.

"Same as you. I came to investigate the case."

"You were supposed to be at home."

"I don't owe anyone anything."

Alex exhaled heavily, looked around the park, and looked at Megan again, his face pinched.

"I don't understand why you're so angry," She said, backing away and going back to her old ways.

"I asked you to stay home."

"Alex, let's end this argument. I feel I have to be here, I have to help, and you won't stop me. Be angry, be resentful, but you won't get your way. Until I find out who killed Stella, I won't rest. And believe me, that person's revenge will be very bitter. So now back off and let me do my job, which I suggest you do."

"Stubborn as a donkey," Alex resigned. "I'm worried about you. As harsh as it sounds, we don't need emotions in our work, we need focus and dedication."

"You know I'm always focused on my work."

"But I have my doubts about this case. I'd advise you to go home now."

"Alex, I promise I'll keep my emotions to myself, but please, let me be a part of this case, let me finish it."

"Okay, but if anything happens, I warned you," Alex said.

"Good." the woman smiled at the finger pointing at her. "By the way, where are you going dressed like that?" She asked, her face showing curiosity, but it wasn't just curiosity, it was a hint of lust.

"Why not?"

"Because you look very... uh..."

"How?" The man looked at her intently, not understanding the hint.

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a stripper."

"Is that a compliment?" Alex smiled teasingly.

-I guess so." Megan came so close that she could easily reach his lips. Alec stared into her eyes, mesmerized, occasionally glancing at her pink lips. "Don't look at me like that."

"How?" His green eyes glowed with fire, sometimes with hot sparks. Megan found herself wanting to touch his shiny skin, wanting to kiss his sweet lips.

"You look like you're going to eat me."

"I'd like that very much." He was grinning like a Cheshire cat, and if Megan were made of sugar, she would melt with his hot, loving energy.

His arms wrapped around her waist, and if she hadn't been wearing a T-shirt, her skin would have been burned. He pulled the woman a little closer to him, and Megan felt a little uncomfortable. She hadn't come here to hug Alex, but she couldn't stop herself. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and stood on her toes to reach him. People were staring at them, maybe jealous, but Megan didn't care. For the moment it was just the two of them and no one else. They had hugged many times before, but this hug was different. It was dreamier, more sensitive, and finally in love. This blissful moment could have lasted even longer if Megan hadn't been jolted back to life by the sound of the ringing and vibrating phone in the back pocket of her jeans. Now the awkwardness took over and the two of them blushed like teenagers holding hands for the first time.

"Ahem..." Alex cleared his throat and let go of Megan and stepped back a good distance.

Pulling his phone out of his pocket, his name glowed on the screen-Lewis.

"Shit," Megan said curtly. "I'm sorry." She took the call and decided to go for a walk in the park."Megan, where are you? I've been waiting for you all morning!" Said the drunken voice.

"I have a job, Lewis, I don't sit in bars all day like you."

"Watch your mouth, woman! How long are you going to be 'working' for?" The last word sounded very strange to Megan.

"What do you mean?" The woman asked with a tone of defiance.

"Do you think I don't know what your job is? Do you think I'm too stupid to live this life that I don't even realize or see who you're hanging around with?"

"Lewis, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't play dumb. I mean, I can see the way you and Alex treat each other. You think I'm blind?"

"Lewis, your assumptions have nothing to do with this. I've had enough of your bullying. I have to go to work."

"Then I'll come to you. I'll find you. And know this, Megan, you and your boyfriend are not going to have it easy."

The phone was suddenly hung up. "Look out. " The words ran through Megan's head, sending chills down her spine. She knew exactly what Lewis was capable of. The extra attention she and Alec needed would be good for her. She lit a cigarette and went back to her investigation.