6

Megan woke up to a phone call. As soon as she woke up, she realized that she was lying on the ground, her sister was sleeping next to her and it was already evening. She had slept half the day. Megan got up a little to get her cell phone out of her back pocket. It was Alex calling her. On the one hand, Megan was glad to hear that there were new details about the murder, but on the other hand, she wasn't ready to hear them. But when she finally woke up, she quickly left the bedroom for the bathroom so as not to wake her sister. She picked up the phone and heard Alex's confused voice.

"Megan, are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"How's Whitney? She must be having a hard time."

"Yeah, she's not in the best of shape, but Peter and I are doing everything we can to keep her comfortable, even though we're worn out. Tell me about the murder.""Ahem..." Alex cleared his throat. "It's so complicated. We're barely making sense of it."

"What about?"

"Okay, if you want to hear it, I'll tell you from the beginning. Stella was found by a man walking his dog, or rather, the dog found her. He was sitting on a bench while the dog ran, and the dog didn't come back for a long time, so the owner, Ben Eastwood, his name is, ran after the dog. As you remember, it is closer to the road, and it is strange that others did not find it, this hole should have attracted a lot of attention. By the way, Ben as soon as he entered the park saw that lump of earth, and it seemed strange to him, but he did not pay much attention to it. The man was seriously scared, and now he sits in the ambulance and stammers when asked about something."

"And that's all you've learned in all this time?"

"No, of course not. It was already known when I arrived, but the most interesting thing is that we discovered that the murder was not committed where the body was found. We found that Stella was killed in the middle of the park, and there was a pool of blood."

"My God, he dragged her halfway across the park. What, no one saw it? Aren't there witnesses walking around the park at night? It's impossible, someone must have seen it!"

"I agree, it's very strange. But is it only the witnesses that are strange?"

"He wanted her to be found..."

"Well, we don't know if it's him or her yet, but that's exactly what he wanted others to see. We need to be more careful. Anderson is advising your family."

"What's Anderson doing here?"

"He took your place. I forgot to tell you off the case."

"What do you mean, suspended?! Who said that?"

"I'm sorry, but it was my suggestion. You're not fit to lead the investigation."

"Alex, do you hear yourself?! I have to clean up the mess!"

"I'm sorry, but no. We've already discussed this."

"Your attitude makes me feel disabled. I can handle myself and my emotions. Don't feel sorry for me!"

"It's just a simple concern!"

"You don't have to worry about me, I'm capable of it."

"Even if you're so independent, think about your sister, who needs you now. Stop thinking only about yourself!"

"So you think I'm selfish?!"

"I didn't say that! What's the point of this argument? Is it hard for you to stay home with your sister?! Just to help her?! Don't think that if you're not here, the investigation is going to go to hell, you're not the only detective. Sometimes you act like a little kid who doesn't think about anyone!"

"Oh, well, thank you for your kind words!"

I heard an exasperated sigh on the phone.

"Let's calm down. And I have to go, Anderson wants to help."

"Okay..." There was a moment's silence. "So that's all you found out?"

"For now, yes. Everything is moving very slowly. Either because of confusion or Anderson's incompetence. The old man is driving me nuts, he keeps talking and talking."

"Oh, yeah, he likes to get on my nerves when I need to concentrate."

"Okay, I'm on my way. Take care."

"I promise," Megan smiled, and Alex must have sensed it too, because the next moment Megan heard a warm laugh on the phone.

The phone was hung up and Megan could hear someone walking around downstairs, clattering dishes. When she came out of the bathroom, she noticed that Whitney wasn't in her room, so she hurried down to the living room, which was off the kitchen, and found Whitney and Peter cleaning up the house.

"Hey, Whitney, how are you?"

The woman turned to Megan and the first thing that caught her eye was her red, tear-stained eyes. But the woman seemed to have recovered a bit.

"I'm calming down a bit, I've decided to clean up the house, it's helping me." Whitney forced a half smile.

-"I'm glad you're able to comfort yourself."

Whitney hung the picture back up and turned to Megan.

"Did you talk to Alex? Did he find out anything?" Whitney ran to her sister like a little girl and sat down on the couch next to her.

"Yeah, he called me. He said the investigation was slow, there were some misunderstandings."

"What did he say?"

"I only know that the hole..." Megan wanted to say this as delicately as possible. " The hole was found by a man's dog. And that the murder was committed 20 meters from the hole. We also suspect that the killer wanted us to know about the murder. At this point, that's all Alex and I know.

"Oh, God..." Whitney put her hands over her face." Why would we do this to ourselves?"

"Just calm down...we'll figure this out, like we always do. I promise you that. You're strong."

"What about the witnesses?" Asked Peter.

"Alex says there aren't any. Or they haven't found them yet."

Megan's phone rang again. She pulled it out of her pocket and looked at the screen and saw the name she didn't want to see...Lewis. She looked at her sister and nodded and went outside to make sure no one could hear their conversation.