23. He knows it's coming

AARON
I knew it was coming. I was simply waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was waiting for the straw that would break the camel's back.

Y/N's physical healing was mostly done. Many scars were left behind in the wake of Y/N's kidnapping and torture. She had been released from the hospital and Penelope insisted that Y/N stay with her like she had been for months now, but I denied Penelope's request, wanting Y/N to feel safe being inside her own home. Her physical therapy sessions were going well. Her first objective was to stand on her feet for 10 seconds, then 30, then a minute. Over a period of 5 weeks, Y/N had gone from not being able to hold her own weight, to being able to walk from one end of our bedroom to the other. Was it a lot of progress? Probably not. But I didn't care. Y/N was regaining her strength and I couldn't've been more proud of her.

But my semi-peaceful life would soon come crashing down, I could feel it. The first sign of cracks showed up when Y/N's memories starting coming back after a couple of weeks. She told me what memories had unlocked in her brain and I felt happy for her. As much as I wanted to keep living in a world of ignorant bliss, I knew that eventually, Y/N would remember how our relationship was before she was taken. My ignorant bliss disappeared when Y/N asked me to give her a cognitive interview.

I was tempted to deny her. I was tempted to lie and tell her that doing a cognitive was a mistake, since she hadn't even begun to remember her kidnapping and torture, but I couldn't say that. I couldn't lie to her. My actions had consequences and I needed to face them.

So, at 2:30 PM on a Saturday afternoon, Y/N and I sat in our bedroom. Jack, Avery and Toby were with Derek and Penelope, both of whom insisted that a trip to the zoo would lift their spirits.

"Are you ready?" I looked at Y/N, who nodded, exhaling.

"Emily told me that you were at a bar the night you were taken. Is that right?" I eyed Y/N, who had closed her eyes moments earlier.

"I- I think so, yeah." Y/N nodded.

"Why were you at the bar?" I asked, keeping myself from being upset.

"I wanted to let loose. I wanted to forget for a few hours." Y/N admitted.

"Did you see the man who took you?" I questioned, holding her hand for support.

"Yes. I didn't recognise him at first, because I had a few drinks." Y/N nodded.

"Did he say anything to you?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"He tried to flirt with me. I rejected him after showing off my ring. He offered me a drink, I said no. He wouldn't stop talking to me, so I left." Y/N told.

"Sorry to burst your bubble of confidence, but I'm married." Y/N exhaled, showing off her ring.

"Really? You don't seem like the type to let a man...or woman tie you down." He smirked.

"Well, you don't know me, so that's not really a fair assessment." Y/N tried to remain calm.

"No need for hostility. How about this, as an apology, I'll buy your next drink." He suggested.

"No thank you. I'm good." Y/N smiled, knowing that one wrong move would send him spiralling. He seemed like a man who wouldn't take 'no' for an answer until someone made it clear to him that they weren't interested.

"C'mon. One drink." He insisted.

"I said no." Y/N stood up and put some money down on the bench before walking off, not in the mood to deal with a jackass like him.

"When you left the bar, could you feel someone watching you?" I kept my gaze on Y/N, whose hand started to shake.

"I felt uneasy as I walked to my car, but I had my gun in my purse. I couldn't use it in time though. Something hard hit my head." I could see tears forming in Y/N's eyes.