11. Updating Emily

Y/N
It was 11:30 AM when you and the BAU were called away for another case. You hoped with all of your heart that for today, you'd be case free, but no. In an hour and half, Jack was graduating from high school and you promised him you'd be there. You had a whole outfit planned for the special day, but it looked like you weren't gonna be able to wear it.

You dialled Jack's number, letting out a deep exhale as you waited for him to pick up.

"Hey mom. You on your way home from work yet?" Jack asked. You had planned to leave work early so you could go home and get changed.

"...about that." You took a moment to brace yourself for whatever negative response you knew you'd get.

"Are you kidding me?! I'm graduating today, mom! I will never graduate from school again and you're flying out for another case?!" Jack got angry - understandably.

"I- I'm so sorry, Jack. It's a serious case, all hands on deck." You tried to apologise and explain, but it was too late.

"I hate you! It's always about work! We never see you anymore and it's all your fault." Jack yelled over the phone before the line went dead.

Gasping for air, you sat up in your bed, feeling the beads of sweat pool on your forehead.

"Y/N?! Are you alright?!" Penelope rushed into the room. She must've heard you gasping loudly.

"N- Nightmare." You admitted, wiping the sweat away.

"It's okay. You're alright. Tell me what happened." Penelope wrapped her arms around you. You cried as you told Penelope what happened in your nightmare. She let you cry and offered nothing but comfort.

"I can call in sick for you?" Penelope offered.

"No. Emily would wonder and ask questions if I didn't go in." You chuckled.

———

GENERAL
Emily had been worried about Y/N for some time now. She was more closed off than usual, only really talking to Penelope. One thing Emily immediately noted was the lack of communication between Y/N and Hotch. She didn't call him as often as she once did. If he called, she'd turn off her phone, or mute her ringer.

When Y/N walked into the bullpen, bags under her eyes, Emily's worries got worse. She exited her office and headed down the stairs, meeting Y/N at her desk.

"Y/N, may I speak to you for a moment?" Emily asked. Y/N nodded, following Emily back up to her office.

As soon as both women were in the office, Emily exhaled and started talking.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush. I'm worried about you." Emily spoke.

"W- Worried? What are you talking about?" Y/N asked, confused.

"When was the last time you slept?" Emily raised her eyebrow.

"Uh...last night?" Y/N furrowed her eyebrows, unsure what Emily was trying to say.

"Let me rephrase. When was the last time you slept without a nightmare?" Emily clarified.

Y/N remained silent. She thought that maybe she could keep her nightmares to herself for a little while longer.

"Months." Y/N admitted.

"That leads me to my next question. What nightmares have been plaguing your mind while you sleep?" Emily clasped her hands together.

"I- I keep having this reoccurring nightmare about Jack. He says that he hates me because I missed his graduation due to a case." Y/N exhaled.

"Now we're getting somewhere. What's happened recently that spurred on these nightmares?" Emily seemed genuinely concerned.

"Aaron and I have been fighting." Y/N fidgeted with her wedding ring. She and Aaron weren't officially separated, so it felt weird not wearing it.

"His fault, or yours?" Emily leaned back.

"He revealed to me that since Toby's birth, he regretted letting me come back to the BAU. Instead of talking about it with me like an adult, he let his regret build and the tension became a constant argument. I can't even walk into the house without worrying that we're gonna fight." Y/N told.

"Are the kids aware?" Emily questioned.

"Toby and Avery? No. Jack...sort of. I gave him a short explanation. He had his worries-" Before she could continue, Emily interrupted.

"You and Hotch divorcing?" Emily asked.

"-yes, but I quickly shut that idea down. I told him the truth - that me and Aaron are taking a break and that neither him nor his siblings were at fault. He seemed...accepting of that explanation." Y/N nodded.

"At least he's aware. Wait, where have you been staying?" Emily questioned.

"With Penelope." Y/N smiled.

"Ah, that explains why your phone has been pinging from her address a lot." Emily nodded.

"You...you've been pinging my phone?" Y/N furrowed her eyebrows.

"I have everyone's locations pinging every 24 hours, that way I can make sure nothing bad has happened to any of you. I'm not trying to be creepy. I'm simply looking out for you all." Emily reassured her.

"You're trying to protect us, as our boss...and our friend." Y/N smiled.

"If you need anything from a shoulder to cry on, to someone to teach your husband a lesson, let me know." Emily smiled, standing up. Without hesitation, Emily wrapped Y/N in a hug, which Y/N quickly accepted.