Thirteen: First Day Open

Hello! This is the Beginning Note, where your name can be featured for as little as 3$ a month! Any chapters I release while you have a subscription to my Patreon, will have your name where this note is! Alternatively, you can donate to my Paypal. Doing so motivates us to work on this actively, and will allow us to invest in other projects, in the future!

Patreon: https://patreon.com/user?u=83993126

Paypal: paypal.com/RobWillFarm

Thank you to those listed below:
Garrett Newbrough;

________________________________________________________________________________

"What do you mean, the Lancers have been captured?!" A young man with silver-blond hair and yellow-white-red eyes demanded of the thug, setting down his glass and standing. In a flash of sparks, his saber was in his hand, held to the man's throat. "Explain!"

The thug gulped audibly, fear in his eyes. "Our- our spy in the royal prison sent word s-saying that the Lancers tried to attack the Second Prince, and were w-wiped out! Even Carak!"

"Damn it!" The young man let out a string of curses, turning away from the thug and beginning to pace around the small sitting room. "Does the crown know of my family's involvement?"

"It w-would seem so, sir."

The young man scowled, then an idea popped into his head. A sinister grin spread across his face, and wicked laughter escaped his mouth. "It seems I'll have to share my idea with father, after all. Screw vying for power in the court, we'll just take the throne!"

"A-a coup?" The thug questioned. With a clap of thunder, the young man was behind the thug, saber raised. Blood dripped from the blade, splashing on the expensive carpets. The thug started to gurgle as blood rushed down his throat. He raised his hands up to his neck to find that his throat had been slashed. A moment later, he collapsed to his knees, and his head rolled from his body.

"Father's failure as a Duke has led to our name being trampled upon in the court," the young man said quietly, wiping the blood from his cheek. "I'll show this damned kingdom what a Stede can do." An image popped into his head of the small child, whom had grown so incredibly quickly. The same boy who had apparently killed the Lancers, those responsible for taking the children to the Ring. "Starting with you."

*****

The day following the incident with the thugs, I walked through the front section of my shop, taking things from my inventory and arraying them on the shelves. Everything had been picked out after much deliberation on my part. This was the last shelf I had to stock, then I could dump the rest of the stuff in the storage room before heading up to the workshop for the rest of the day. That day would be the first that my shop was opened, and judging by how many people had already come so early in the morning, before it was opened, it would be a busy day. So, I hurried my efforts and came to the workshop, where everyone was waiting.

"Here it is, opening day," I said, looking between the three of them. Siv and Ilyor would be working the front, helping people find what they needed, overseeing transactions, and keeping the shelves stocked. Vaquin would guard the door, to make sure nothing was stolen. And I would be up in the workshop, enchanting anything people brought in, and doing my own thing. "This is what we've been waiting for, so let's not screw this up! Everything we need is right here, all we need to do is put in the effort. Be courteous and kind, and remember that these patrons are the reason we're here. I'll see you all at six." I held out a hand. Siv was all too happy to put hers on mine, followed hesitantly by Ilyor. I glared at Vaquin, making him groan and add his to the pile. "Break!" I exclaimed, pushing my hand upwards to separate us all.