Z i o n

"You see me smiling, thinking I care- what sinful desire to have, wishing to be seen. I'm blind taking your sight."

- Zion Lockwood;

"Mother?"

He spoke softly. His mother stared right at him- or perhaps through him.

His hand grazed hers, and he saw life re-enter her vacant eyes. She squeezed his hand, a weary smile tugging at her lips.

"I'm sorry Zion, I must have-"

"It's alright. I was just asking if I could go out for a few hours."

"Of course, darling."

She squeezed his hand once more, and for a moment he couldn't move. He didn't want to move. He knew he should stay- he should stay with her.

His legs found strength, or more so his heart and he left the table. He grabbed his coat and walked out. He knew the closing of the door would make his mother flinch. He knew, right now, tears welled up in her eyes, and he knew she would lose herself while he was gone- because she could. Because she stayed strong for too long.

He was right. Tears streamed. Her hands shook. Her face paled. He was, of course, right.

He got on his bike, music in, and he took the backroads.

He pedaled quickly. His grip was tight on the handlebars, as his jaw clenched. But in the midst of his frustration, he could finally breathe; and he did. He inhaled so deeply, he almost lost his breath. Home was where he was going, not where he had left, and often he drowned with guilt by that mere thought. But right now he wasn't thinking.

Together they are one, but apart they are thousands. A thousand pieces, and a thousand thoughts.