Chapter 1

Aaron watched Tawny as she sat on the edge of her chair as medical personnel moved carefully, treating her burns. She flinched occasionally but offered no word of complaint. She answered their questions slowly and precisely.

"I'm surprised how much she's told you," Nick said dryly. He rubbed his wrist.

Desmond rolled his eyes. "You seem to have taken a liking to her. You usually just try to ignore the people you're working with."

Nick scowled. "You're one to talk."

Aaron rolled his eyes. One of the medics stood from Tawny and walked into the observation. "Commander, she's got burns on about ninety percent of the rest of her body, she's pretty malnourished and dehydrated." He trailed off.

"And?" Aaron promoted.

"Her bionics...they're in rather rough shape, if I'm one to judge, she'll need new legs, some of the sensors aren't working right."

Aaron nodded. "Thank you." The medic returned to the room.

Tawny hadn't touched the food in front of her. She had barely looked at it since its arrival. "She needs to eat."

"Good luck," Nick said. "She'd rather starve than risk food here."

"She drank the water."

Nick looked sideways at him. "You drink from the bottle first?"

"Yeah."

"She knew it was safe. She's no idiot. If she thinks you'll try to hurt her, you won't get anything from her."

"Sir, a call from command!" one of the techs shouted from his terminal.

"To?"

"You, sir."

Aaron walked over and picked up the phone. "Commander Ryan," he said.

"Commander Ryan, how close are you to getting the traitor on our side?" a thick voice came through the phone.

Aaron pursed his lips. "Sir, I really don't, don't think that she is going to be useful for anything."

"Commander, I am being nice right now, turn her to our cause or my men will do it. Am I clear?"

The arrogance in the voice drove a scowl onto Aaron's face. He thought he could just use her, toy with her life. Aaron forced, "Yes, sir."

"You have til sundown to turn her." The line went dead.

Aaron swore under his breath and shoved the phone back into the receiver. He watched Tawny disregard the food for a few more minutes and motioned to Nick. "Do you think you could convince her to eat?"

Nick shrugged. "I could try."

"Please."

Nick walked into the interrogation room and Tawny shot to her feet, knocking one of the medics off of her. Aaron frowned as he watched her wrap Nick in an embrace. "They're going to destroy her," he muttered.

Desmond looked over. "She's strong, I'm sure she'll be fine." He didn't sound nearly as confident as he usually did.

Aaron shook his head. "I don't agree with what they have us doing to her."

"You have a good approach, if you keep her talking, you'll gain her trust."

"She won't want to go back to war. She's wants a life."

Desmond shrugged. "Remember, she'll end up with us."

"And that's a good thing?" Aaron asked. "Surrounded by men who lied to her to get her here so we could use her?"

Desmond shrugged. "She'll sit behind a computer and code her way through life until this war is over. Then, they'll let her go, I'm sure."

"Are you?" Aaron asked.

"Yes."

"You should get her talking again here soon."

Aaron nodded and stood. The sooner he got her through her story, the better. With a deep breath, he walked into the interrogation room as Nick took a bite of the sandwich Tawny had been presented with.

"See, not poison," he said bluntly.

She looked down. "You don't know that," she whispered softly. Her eyes lifted at the sound of the door opening. "Commander." She dipped her head.

He offered her a gentle smile and sat down. "Tawny, are you alright to continue?" he asked.

She looked at Nick and then down at her hands, which rubbed together. Now that the wounds on her arms had been treated, she almost looked normal. She nodded and took a small sip of the bottle of water. "I am, yes."

"Okay, when you're ready."