Chapter 17 (last chapter)

Chapter Seventeen:

Tristan’s POV:

                My recorder woke me up in the middle of the night. I looked at it and almost gasped. It had a red light in the corner and it was beeping. No, this was not a bomb. If it was, I would’ve sensed it earlier. I examined it carefully and pushed the play button curiously.

“Tristan Castillo, get out of bed now. We need you to get here as soon as possible.”

A female voice recorded that. It didn’t seem familiar. And it seemed to be urgent. I stood up from the floor and opened my eyes widely.

“Al…” I called out for her. She mumbled something and stayed silent. “Alah…” She rolled over in the bed. “Alahya…” I called out, but she shrugged it off. “ALAHYA ESTRADA, WAKE UP!” I yelled and she squealed and fell to the floor. “Oh, sorry, honey.” She grunted and then sat up.

“What do you want?” She demanded.

“We have to go to the lab.” She opened her eyes in a flash.

“What?!” She stood up in shock and I stood up.

“They sent us a message.” I pushed the play button and the recorder played what I heard seconds ago. She sighed and went to the closet. “No! We have to go now! Didn’t you hear them?! It’s urgent.”

“Oh, so we’ll go wearing our pajamas?” I nodded. “The things we do for love…” She grunted while getting her car keys and heading for the door. I followed her to the exit and went outside, leaving her with the ‘closing with the key’ process. She tapped my shoulder to get my attention. I turned to her and looked at her. She had her arms held out to me, gesturing for me to carry her all the way to the car.

I held her and went down the stairs and into the parking lot. When we were in the car, I turned on the engine and drove to the hidden lab. When we got there, I could see a sky blue light from afar. I got out of the car, and so did Al. We were both staring at the light that came from the lake.

We got closer into the woods so that we could see what was going on. I was leading our way towards the lake. The light I saw before was unforgettable. I walked cautiously, the moon light was lighting my way through the woods. I found our way out of the never ending trees and was finally in front of the actual lake. I froze when I saw what was in front of me floating in the water.

It was the most beautiful light ever. My mouth was wide open. Alahya must have noticed my expression and gotten jealous. So, she hit me with her elbow in my ribs and I let out a small grunt. The grunt made the beautiful sky blue light move. I mouthed Al a ‘what?!’ and she shot me a deadly glare. I turned towards the light again and got closer. It became clearer and now I knew what it was.

It was a lady sitting on the water.

She was beautiful. She was pale, had bright white, silky, long, wavy hair. She had her back to us and was playing with the water. The thing that was most amazing was the fact that she has wings. The wings were light floating water and were made of tiny droplets of water. The wings danced softly around her and were seemed to be pleased with the environment. Surrounding her, there was white, shiny smoke. It seemed to be coming out of her dress.

I stepped on a dry leaf, which made the lady turn around and her wings to shiver. When her eyes met mine, the wings calmed down and went back to normal.

Her eyes were so pretty.

                They were light blue. So, so light that I almost believed they were white. Her dark pupil seemed to be filled with excitement. I noticed that she had some kind of jewelry in her head. They looked like pearls or something like that, with silver chains holding it. In the side of her left eye was some kind of tattoo. It was made of four dark pecks.

She stood up carefully and came over to us.

                Her left arm had an interesting tattoo and coming from the shoulder strip from the dress, was a sleeve made of pure silk. In the other hand, she had some kind of bracelet, but made of silk too. The dress was shiny and bright. You couldn’t see where it ended because of the smoke in the bottom. She had a tight necklace that had some kind of pearl in the middle.

“Well, you must be Tristan.” She said with a glamorous smile that took his breath away. He nodded. “I’m Lady Larafenetchei.” She turned to Al and smiled to her, too. “And you must be Alahya.” Al nodded in agreement.

“Welcome, Lady Larafenetchei.” She told her with a graceful bow. Oh, right, we had to bow. I totally forgot.

“Thank you.” She turned to me and continued. “My test for you to take is the following. You will be sent to a desert. You mustn’t drink blood for forty days. You will be tested and tempted. If you fail the test, you shall not take it again. If you pass the test, you get your human soul.” She explained. I was in shock. No blood drinking… for forty days?

I turned to Al for help, but she stood dumbstruck. Of course she wouldn’t know what to do: she’s human. I turned back to Lady Larafenetchei. I nodded.

“I’ll do it.” She nodded and gave me a smile.

“Tomorrow, you’ll be carried away to the testing area. You are allowed to bring something.”

“What kind of something?”

“Something that you think will help you with the tempting. Anything…except blood.”

“What if I bring a human?”

“That human will have a vampire detector. This detector will spot you from five feet away. So, in other words, you’ll have to stay five feet away from that person you choose.” I turned to Al, which was already looking at me. I smiled and she smiled back.

“We’ll do it.” I told the fairy-looking lady. She smiled and then she said her farewells.

When she disappeared, the only thing that lit the lake was the moon. Al and I stood there for a moment.

“Thank you.” She whispered.

“…For what?”

“For choosing me…”

“Al, you’ll always be the one I will choose. And you always have.”

“…But what about Ebony?”

“She wants me to be happy. I just know it. And, with you…you said it yourself: I’m happy.”

A few moments of silence passed. Her voice broke the peace.

“Well, I guess we’re going on a new adventure.” She gave a low chuckle and I squeezed her hand I was holding all along.

“Yep, I guess so.” I admitted. “I’m scared of this one, Al.”

“Don’t be; He’s with us, remember?” I analyzed what she said. “And Ebony is, too. She was with us all along. And they’ll be with us on this new adventure, too.”

“Like a guardian angel…” I thought out loud; Alahya nodded.

“Yup, like a guardian angel…” She echoed my words.