Chapter 9

In the river, the Trolls all gasped for air struggling against the rough current thrashing them around.

Biggie: Mr. Dinkles?! Mr. Dinkles!!!

Mr. Dinkles: Mew.

Biggie caught sight of Mr. Dinkles floating away on his back, his expression as blank as ever.

Biggie: I'm coming, Mr. Dinkles!!!

He didn't hesitate to swim after his little friend gripping him tightly. At that same time, Branch grabbed onto a log violently coughing water out.

Hickory: Over here, y'all!

Branch spotted Hickory a short distance away on dry land. Sweet land...and so close.

Branch: We'll be ri-

Poppy: BRANCH!!!!!!

Okay, that was scary, Branch looked around anxiously, and his heart stopped when he saw Poppy being pulled away by the rapid current, she was struggling to keep her head above the surface.

Branch: Poppy!!! Hang on!

Branch didn't hesitate to dive into the water after Poppy, but it seemed like the raging rapids were too strong for him and he didn't seem to be getting closer to Poppy.

Poppy: Help me...!

The pop queen was on the verge of tears as the current pulled her further away. The bad news...she wasn't a very strong swimmer, she could swim, but not as good. That saying, sink or swim, in her case, it was probably sink. She started coughing violently as the water started to puncture her lungs. Branch's heart sank when he saw Poppy descend below the surface.

Branch: No!!!!

He dove below the surface quickly grabbing her by her waist and pulling her to shore. He reached the dry land coughing water out. He pulled Poppy out of the water carefully laying her down on the ground, her eyes were shut. Branch checked her pulse, none.

Branch: Poppy, no no no!!! Don't you quit on me!

No response, Branch started giving her chest compressions hoping to result in something.

Branch: Come on, come on, come on!

Still nothing, Branch started getting visibly nervous, his voice and body trembling. If the chest compressions weren't working, what would? Then he got an idea, he looked around making sure that no one was watching, then he leaned down closer to Poppy's seemingly lifeless body.

Branch: Come on, Poppy, don't do me like that...

He slowly began to pucker his lips as he moved them closer to Poppy's. Just as they were just centimeters away from touching, Poppy's eyes fluttered open and she sat up instantly, gasping for air before coughing the water out of her lungs.

Poppy: Oh gosh...did I dream all that?

Branch: Poppy!!!

Without warning, Branch wrapped Poppy in a tight embrace not letting.

Poppy: Branch...?

Branch: Don't ever do that again, you scared me half to death!

After what seemed like forever, Branch pulled away from the hug before making another sudden move. He put his hands on Poppy's shoulders and kissed her right on the cheek. Poppy suddenly gasped putting a hand on her cheek. What just happened? Was that real, or was she delirious?

Poppy: B-Branch...I-I didn't kno-

Biggie: Oh Mr. Dinkles, you're alive! For a minute there, I thought you kicked the bucket!