10 - Clarke Home Part 4

After supper, Caleb and I tried to help clean up, but my mom insisted we go relax and that she and my dad would take care of it. We took it as our cue to escape upstairs, and we stood in the hall together. Despite the supper conversation having migrated from inspecting my life choices, my mom's words still weighed on my conscience. 

Some people made a living abroad, although they were usually influencers or had a more specialized skill that was in demand. Back at the dive shop, everyone lived paycheck to paycheck with the backpacker employees celebrating payday with a night out and dreams of where they wanted to explore next. A few of our younger Indonesian coworkers would join us from time to time. I didn't go every time and stuck to buying food instead of drinks, but it was fun to let off steam and vent.  

In time, I hoped to land in Australia, but their working holiday visa required proof of 5000 Australian dollars in your bank account, which hadn't happened since I lived in Canada and would take ages when earning in far less valuable currencies. If I moved home, earning that cash would be much quicker if one of the three dive shops in the city was open to hiring me. But moving back into this house gave me anxiety. While my mental health wasn't always amazing, it had improved after being away only for my anxiety to peak now.

Caleb squeezed my hand and stroked my knuckles. "You're awfully quiet. Are you alright?"

I returned the gesture and nodded.

"Are you sure? That was like my grandparents going after my mum. It's hard on anyone."

My heart melted a bit given that he could sense the way my mom knocked me down. But this wasn't his problem.

"It's okay. I'm used to it. I was just too exhausted to say much back. Thanks for stepping in."

"Would you want a hug?"

When I nodded, I settled into his embrace like a warm fleece blanket after braving a winter storm. My eyes tingled as did my nose. I closed my eyes and breathed from my stomach to quell what was coming, but the tears came anyway. At least in his arms, I was more at peace.

"Are they always like that?" he asked.

I breathed to the gentle rhythm of the rise and fall of Caleb's chest. "Yeah. I thought my mom might relax in your presence, but not so much."

We pulled away from each other, but his eyes remained on me. "Are you looking to escape that for a few days?"

"That's not within my budget, as my mom already pointed out." It wasn't like I was hiding my financial situation, but it was nice to be in control of information about my life.

"Come to Churchill with me. Someone who knows that much about polar bears should see them in the wild."

It was sweet he wanted to help, and if it were possible, I'd jump at the chance. But this was reality where I was stuck with my parents for three weeks. Visiting my friends and running errands would be my escape. I was hoping today my mom would get the venting out of her system and that it would just minimally reappear afterward. I was sure she had lots of opinionated commentary on my aunts' and uncles' lives to catch me up on.

I shook my head. "Those tours book up months in advance. I appreciate the gesture, and you're really sweet, but I'd be wandering the town. If a bear showed up, they'd tranquillize it and send it to bear jail. That's not the experience I'm after."

Caleb bit his lip and released it. He took a deep breath while looking into my eyes. "I have an extra ticket to everything I'm doing. If you promise not to ask why, it's yours."

I furrowed my brow and studied him. His smile was light, and his shoulders were relaxed.

"You got ten times more mysterious."