6 - Winnipeg Airport

Of all the airports we visited, Winnipeg was the smallest and most straightforward to navigate. The terminal was a single, curved wide corridor with a dozen food vendors along the interior wall and glass windows facing the tarmac that you followed until the escalators. Those led to the arrivals and baggage claim area, where my parents and Vince were waiting for us and, unknowingly, our big reveal.

Caleb and I let a line of passengers stream ahead before meeting each other's gaze as if to ask if we were going through with this. Once we'd stepped onto the escalators, he waited for my nod before cradling my hand and entwining our fingers. Sweat coated mine, but at least I'd washed the pretzel grease off it after freshening up in the bathroom. An extra layer of deodorant never hurt, and on the off chance we kissed, I did not want to have 30+ hour plane breath.

Would we have to kiss?

I'd kissed strangers before, albeit while drunk and in dimly lit bars in my late teens and early twenties, but I could still do this, right? Caleb was a lot more appealing than a stranger, plus he was sweet and fun, and I enjoyed it when he flirted with me. Kissing him might be nice, if not a bit nerve-wracking.

Caleb squeezed my hand and looked down at me. "You seem nervous. Want to call it off?"

Even that whisper felt charged as my body was hyper-aware of his breath against my ear and cheek. They were both probably burning bright red.

Scanning the hall, my parents hadn't spotted us, but Vince had, and he studied us with a furrowed brow. In a casual button-up red plaid shirt rolled up to the elbow and a baseball cap, Vince was as much a laid-back farm kid now as when we were teens attending high school together. If he caught us in this lie, he'd laugh it off and tease me about overreacting about the Trevor situation. He and Claire had been dating long enough that we used to hang out as couples. Although he and Trevor were friends, Vince remained neutral.

However, Claire would be upset that I couldn't be honest with her (though she still hadn't confirmed if Trevor was attending). Honesty wasn't the easiest for me. I wasn't an outright liar, but I closely guarded my truths. Each of my friends had a small piece of me I thought they'd accept, and even if they cobbled them all together, it didn't seem like me.

Until Trev...

He'd helped me figure out parts of me I didn't understand or accept. The man was everything I should have wanted in a person. But I'd jumped on a plane like the commitment-phobic jerk I was.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and shook off my unpleasant sensation.

You know that you and Trev were wrong for each other, even if you loved him. If you and Caleb pull this off, you won't risk hurting Trev more than you already have. He'll get the message that you moved on, and hopefully, he will have too. It'll keep your friends and family's focus on the shiny new relationship instead of analyzing and questioning your life choices and whatever Caleb was avoiding. People adore a love story.

"Nah, we're in it now. It's only two days. We've got this."

Caleb's smile returned. "Oh course we do, my little Timbit."

Timbit? He named me after something that went in his mouth. Oh god, did that mean...

Focus, Audrey Clarke. He picked a Canadian snack you shared. It's kind of sweet. Or very if you consider the ingredient list.

And what do I call him my delicious slice of Vegemite toast?

Please never say that aloud.

He smiled at me then lifted my hand to his lips to kiss it. Why were they so soft?

Would you prefer they be sandpaper-like? Come on, Audrey, smile back, swallow your awkwardness, and try not to look like a statue!