3 - Over the Pacific

Caleb and I sat in separate rows—too far to chat without relocating—during our flight from Hong Kong to Vancouver. It was a bummer, as my mind rebelled against the contented solo life vibes I'd amassed over the past two years. Time abroad had offered pleasant distractions from my home drama, but as we crossed the Pacific, the weight of my actions returned. My departure from Canada to Asia hadn't been without its collateral damage. Namely my ex, Trevor.

Trevor was a good guy and a catch for the right person. Unfortunately, I was the wrong person, although I loved him back then. If you're looking for the asshole in the two exes reuniting at a wedding story, it's me. But I hadn't confirmed he'd be attending by reading his message, nor did I want to pay for the in-flight Wi-Fi to do so. So, I may have been freaking out for nothing. However, my brain wouldn't get on board with that idea.

Trevor and I had been friends for longer than we dated. Stuck in the same high school Spanish and French classes, we bonded sophomore year. He was quiet yet easygoing, and while we didn't hang out outside of class, we would partner up for group projects. Since he had a girlfriend who attended another school, it was easy to get along with him without romantic tension.

After graduation, we went our separate ways, but at 23, we ran into each other at the bar. I was celebrating my friend's birthday, and he'd gone with a co-worker who'd already ditched him. Since I'd had a few drinks, I abandoned my friends to run up to him, engulfing him in a teetering hug and squealed, "Trev!" over the loud, remixed pop song.

Classy, I know. Blame the Long Island iced teas.

"Audrey?"

His blue eyes widened as he pulled away and looked me up and down. I'd worn a black top that left my right shoulder exposed, ripped skinny jeans, and a pair of sandal heels that almost got me near average height. The key word being almost.

"Wow, it's good to see you." He smiled.

"You too, Trev. Look at this. You're all grown up!"

I ran my hand along his soft, new-to-me blonde beard. Drunk Audrey had problems respecting people's personal space, but he chuckled instead of pushing me away. Soon, my inebriated mind got the memo to step back.

"I would say the same, but you're still small enough to fold up and put in a suitcase."

I shook my head at the cringy memory threatening to appear. He stood only half a foot taller than me at most. "One video project from Spanish class I'll never live down. What's new with you?"

"I'm still playing hockey, work as window and door installer, and uh, I'm engaged." He spoke the last part with hesitation.

"Oh shit, congratulations."

Way to bring the enthusiasm, Audrey.

He bit his lip and held in a laugh. "Thanks."

My friends who knew Trevor came running from the bar to catch up. Despite being a guy who kept to himself, he was sweet enough to be almost universally well-liked in high school, at least by the people who knew who he was.

After a few minutes, they left to dance, and he and I found ourselves tucked in a quiet vinyl booth, minus the loud music.

"What's it like being engaged?" I asked.

He smiled as he played with his gold ring. "It was amazing when she said yes, and I had all these dreams about the wedding, but..." That smile faded.

As someone who didn't buy into the marriage industry, I waited for his response. "But what?"

He sighed and set his hand on his lap. "She keeps changing her mind about everything. Nothing's good enough—not the venue, the dress, the flowers...." He paused and chewed on his lip. "Honestly, some days I wonder if I'm good enough."