The Broken Raven

This cover was done for K_Evans89

This cover was done for K_Evans89 . A elegant composition of "raven" feathers. I had complete creative freedom, and we opted for a typography type cover.

The watercolour was something I added to give more uniqueness to the piece. It also gave texture to the letters, but my creative thought behind it is, the title says broken. Most people think split or shattered, but bleeding also indicates broken. I was inspired by a watercolour piece writing, and connecting the title to that, helps to convey the feeling that this book cover is supposed to give.

Tip for upcoming graphic designers: sometimes the little things help bring a piece together. Something you might think is overlooked, is actually a statement piece. Don't just put anything, but think about the meaning you're trying to convey, what symbols do you believe fit with the story?

Mafia stories tend to revolve around guns, so people tend to put guns and bullet holes on covers to show the danger that the characters could be in, but also the genre. Werewolf stories (think back to my cover, the whisper of the moon), revolves around the moon. Simple stuff like this can really help push your idea out there. But don't worry, some things work, some things don't. Even the font you use can help elevate a piece, and the placement of text.