2.7 : Things Have Changed, But You Still Haven't

♡♡♡

Even as work became impossibly hectic for Hira Kazunari, he moved with an incredible determination unlike anything the Creative Department had ever seen before. The office was full of veterans who watched hundreds of new employees get burnt out and quit within their first six months under Shima's rule; so naturally they made bets over how long Hira would make it. The women were more apt to cheer in his favor, while the men thought he would be too high-strung to even make it past training. Lo and behold, everyone who doubted him ended up coughing up big time. Hira became an unstoppable force, as his spirit was fully rejuvenated. He survived The Office Trials all because his universe with the Star overcame its weird slump.

At that time it did, at least.

"Look at Hira go! Wow!" The office women chatted by the printer as they watched him dash around, lugging equipment and hefty boxes like mere featherweights. "He's such a good and handsome young man, isn't he?" One of the women clutched at her necklace and swooned, "He reminds me of my husband when he was younger!" The ladies clapped for Hira as he caught a box in mid-air before it crashed to the ground.

Meanwhile, the men were grumpily complaining and glaring over their computer screens. "What is it that women see in awkward youngsters? First the Sato Airi personally requested Hira's help, and now we can't even score with the office babes because of him?" Then one of the older men fussed at Hira directly, "Oi! Quit hogging all the attention, kid!"

"W-What?" Hira looked up quickly, making his hair perform a gorgeous little fwip that threw the women into an uproar once more. He was absolutely glowing - it may have looked like he was showing off, but in reality the weird dot was just enjoying a glorious daydream about his beautiful King.

"Or maybe," Amano-san popped up behind the pesky peasant and slung an arm over his shoulders. "He gets a lot of attention because our good Kazu-kun is the only reliable employee here." The supervisor was beaming, but the men could read the threats he was making behind that smile. They all recoiled in fear and returned to typing away; the Supervisor's wrath was difficult to provoke, but likely one of the most fearsome forces known to mankind. He'd also grown especially protective of Hira, so they usually knew better than to tease him within Amano's earshot.

"I wouldn't go as far as to say that," Director Shima came around the corner next and slammed several stacks of paperwork in front of Hira. With a cigarette dangling from his lips he commanded, "Get that done yesterday, got it?"

"Y-Yesterday?!"

"Be nice, Director," Amano plucked the cigarette from Shima's mouth, nagging at him like a disappointed parent, "I thought you were cutting back, Shima-kun? Eh? Do I need to give you a new incentive to quit?" There was no comeback after that blow. Not a single soul dared to mention it, but the Director's cheeks turned blood-red as he stormed out of the office at that. "Perhaps I said a bit too much just then. I should apologize, right?" Before following the Director, he gave Hira a remorseful smile. "Don't worry about all of that. After our meeting I'll help you out."

Once they both disappeared, the mischief recommenced in the office as the men guffawed at the paperwork tower. It stood at least three heads taller than the average human, and possibly had the finest print they'd ever seen. "What did you do to get on the Director's naughty list?" They mocked, "Maybe Hira is pretty awesome! He'll take Shima's shit storms for us!"

"N-No worries, I-I can do this!" Hira clutched his fists with exuberant fervor, as his spirits couldn't be dampened by any storm... shit related or not. If I still have Kiyoi-kun, I can do anything!

By some miracle, he lived up to his word and completed the entire tower with little help. Only one critical mistake occurred: since Director Shima's assignments ate up the entire workday, there was no chance to send out an updated project report to Sato Airi. Thus, the poor peasant had to stay late while everyone else returned home on time to their families. It'll only be a few fixes and one email. I'll be there soon, my King!