I took a wrong turn

Dagger: "All packed up?" he asked, tilting his head.

I slipped my hand into my pocket, and a red screen popped up in front of me, displaying my storage.

Yami: "Yeah. Wish me luck," I said before stepping foot into the mirror.

Dagger: "Good luck. Be safe..." I heard Dagger say silently before I was engulfed in a blinding light.

The light lasted for what felt like an hour, or maybe just a minute, before I felt my back hit what I think is grass. I could hear birds and other fauna around me.

Opening my eyes, I found myself surrounded by tall trees. It was nighttime, and I lay on the forest floor. I sat up and observed my surroundings – no surprises, I was in a forest.

Getting up, I searched for the tallest tree to get a vantage point, to see where I was and how far I needed to go to reach the Academy. Once I found one, I effortlessly climbed it until I reached the top. I could see a fairly large town, some mountains, a forest, and a lake not too far away, but no spiral city in the distance.

Well, that's perfect. I don't know where the city is, and I don't know anything about this world. For all I know, everyone here could kill me with just a snap of their fingers! And Dagger handicapped me, so I can't use my full arsenal. At least I still have access to my other abilities, so I'm not totally defenseless.

Okay, you're in unknown territory; panicking won't help you in this situation. Gather intel about this world and its inhabitants, history, and people I should look out for. Luckily, I spotted a building in the town that resembled a library. It is a library, so that's where I should go. I climbed down the tree and made my way over there. I stopped once I saw a large chained fence in my way, and on the other side was a cul-de-sac neighborhood. I jumped over it with ease; luckily, there was no one around to see me. Knowing the library would still be close by this time, I decided to roam around a bit until it opens.

I passed by some intriguing buildings until something caught my attention - my eyes zeroed in on the local church. A priest and nuns were carrying a large crate to the back of the building, and as I took a glance at the crate, I noticed something sticking out from the slightly open hatch - the butt of an assault rifle. Making sure they didn't see me, I moved on.

I strolled past an arcade, some tempting restaurants and diners, the local mall, and a small supermarket. A police car drove by, prompting me to quickly blend into the shadows. When it passed by my location, I became just another uninteresting shape in the dark. Taking a good look at the police officer, I couldn't shake the feeling that this guy was not opposed to murder - shoot first and ask questions later. Definitely someone to avoid.

Continuing my journey, morning arrived, bathing the town in a warm orange glow. People started emerging to open their shops or head to work early. I spotted students making their way toward a high school near the library, along with some individuals who seemed like faculty members. One of them resembled the gym teacher, and I had a strange feeling that he wasn't someone you could trust with your children. I silently prayed for all the students who had to deal with him, then made my way to the library, now open.

I made my way inside; the librarian gave me an odd look, but I ignored it and headed to the history section of the library, selecting books that would be handy for me. Moving on to other sections, I grabbed a book about geography, culture, newspapers, and other materials I might need. I looked for the most secluded spot in the library and began reading there.

Slowly but surely, the library started filling up with people. I could understand why the librarian had given me an odd look. No other teenage guys were present, except for me and some slim kid with glasses. The rest were mostly teachers and other adults looking for books relevant to their daily work.