Nights Like These

Chapel was so boring. It was a bigger room tucked away in the school building that had large carpeted steps that served as seats. It reminded Scarlett of an auditorium. The girl took a deep breath, inhaling the musty air. If she had to kneel for another goddamn minute, she was going to light the place on fire-

"Amen." The priest did the sign of the cross, ending the prayer. Scarlett let out a sigh of relief.

Holy shit, my knees hurt so bad. Who knew you'd have to kneel for a half-hour for fucking prayer time?

She stood up, observing her classmates as they filed out of the chapel, paying their respects to Jesus on the way out. The girl knew no one in this class, as Lucy, Julien, and Phoebe all had some sort of music band class during this period. She couldn't wait to get out of here and get back to her room, in hopes that the three of them would be there.

"Excuse me? You're Scarlett, right?" The girl turned, finding the priest standing behind her, awaiting an answer.

"Oh, yeah. Sir- sorry, Father." She flushed.

The priest gave her a small smile. "It's nice to meet you. You seemed very focused during prayer today. That makes me very happy, as I've heard about your past sinning. You're already making progress." He gave her a nod of approval.

Yeah, I was busy thinking about how gorgeous- you know what? Nevermind.

"I'm really trying, Father. I can feel God's presence in my life now, and He's guiding me down the right path now."

"I'm glad to hear that. I'm excited to help you along this journey. I would like it if you could come and see me during your spare time as well as chapel. It would surely benefit you even more to have some private confession time. With that being said, I'll let you head back to your dorm, I'm sure you have lots of scripture to read. Peace be with you." He smiled at her and headed back to the altar.

Scarlett nearly cried when she reached the door to her room. The walk across campus, combined with the five flights of stairs, was horrible. She was already tired from her classes, and she was forced to do a marathon to get home?

"Scarlett?" She heard as she cracked the door open.

"Hey," the weariness was evident in her reply.

"Hey, what took you so long?" Phoebe asked gently, grabbing her arm and pulling her into their room.

"Father Roger stopped me after Chapel and told me I should do private sessions with him on top of the class. He also said that 'he can see that I'm making progress,' whatever that means." She sat down on her bed with a sigh.

"He likes to do private sessions when you first get here. Everyone has to do it at first. It sucks, but it helps to make you seem legit when you say you're 'getting better'. And, if it makes you feel any better, he's actually a nice man and not creepy, like most priests." Phoebe sat down on her own bed across from her.

Scarlett looked over at the blonde, which was when she noticed Lucy and Julien cuddled up in Phoebe's bed, fast asleep.

"Julien likes to nap after class. I guess Lucy was tired today too." Phoebe snickered at the two of them curled up behind her.

"That's adorable," Scarlett's heart squeezed. "I guess maybe private sessions won't be too bad. I'll just treat it like therapy."

"Exactly. And by law, Father Roger is not allowed to repeat anything that you say during confessions. So, go wild." Phoebe smiled.

Scarlett already felt better just being in Phoebe's presence. The dark cloud of exhaustion was slowly being blown away by her fresh air.

"Do you want to watch a movie or something while these idiots sleep? My laptop has tons of movies downloaded, so you can pick," Phoebe proposed.