The Sisters of Mother Mary

The car door slammed shut with so much force that Scarlett's brain rattled in her skull. She scoffed at her Mom's grand entrance, ripping out an earbud. "Oh don't be like that Scarlett. This is what's best for you," the older lady scolded, turning on the ignition. "Are you sure you are all packed up?"

"Well, considering the entirety of my bedroom is stuffed into the trunk, I'd say so. Let's just go please." Thankfully, her mom took the hint, and began to drive. Shoving her earbud back in, Scarlett watched the place she grew up grow smaller in the rearview mirror. She still didn't understand why what she did warranted her parents sending her away to a boarding school, especially during her last year before graduation. That heavy feeling settled in her chest again, the one that made her feel like she was breathing in a cloud of smoke. It happened a lot lately, ever since her Mom found her and her "best friend," kissing in her room. Scarlett couldn't shake the image of her Mom's horrified disgust as she had looked at her daughter. "I don't think I can ever look at you the same," echoes around her head, pounding the walls of her skull until sadness welled up in her eyes and the ghosts of the past gripped at her throat.

Scarlett had never thought that her parents would decide to send her away. 17 years of kissing her goodnight and cleaning her wounds when she fell, and it only took 2 seconds to erase. "It's for your own good. Trust in God on this journey, and He will save you." Her Dad's parting words rung in her ears, his phantom hand still hesitating to pat her shoulder. The hot, salty tracks ran down her face as she thought of what was her future. Hopefully this Catholic school will be at least a little bit better than the Hell that I call home, she thought as she closed her eyes, letting the calming darkness wash over her.

                                                             —

"Scarlett. Scarlett!" She jolted awake, rubbing her arm where she had been jabbed. Taking in her surroundings, her eyes finally landed on her mother. "We're here. We need to go get you registered at the main hall." She watched as her mother swiftly exited the car and greeted one of the smiling workers who stood outside. Taking a deep breath, Scarlett observed what would be her new home for the next year. Cobblestone walkways lined the ground, creating a path to each of the many buildings that sat on the property. Over near what she assumed was the main hall, due to its extravagant stone staircase leading up to huge lacquered doors, was what seemed to be a small courtyard. A three layered fountain trickled, the streams gently swayed by the afternoon breeze. Behind it stood a statue of Mary, her hands held open, welcomingly reaching out to all who came near her. "Scarlett! Hurry up please! I have a long drive to get back home, and I want to leave soon," a hand rapping on her window made her jolt, ripping her from her thoughts. Not wanting to piss her mother off even more than she already had, Scarlett undid her seatbelt and stepped out onto the cobblestone.

"You must be Scarlett. We've been awaiting your arrival, and we are ecstatic to welcome another one of God's children into our community." The woman smiled at her, making her wrinkles more pronounced on her tissue paper skin. Her snow-white hair peeked out from under her black veil, and a crucifix hung around her neck.

Scarlett gently nodded, not sure how to behave around a nun. Am I supposed to like, bow or something?, she thought. She was quickly pulled from her thoughts when the woman spoke again. "I am Sister Edith, the Headmaster of The Holy Sisters of Mother Mary. Let's go get you all registered, and Peter here will unload your belongings onto a cart so that everything is ready for you to take to your dorm room when we're done," she gestured to a younger blond man, also dressed in black, dragging a cart over to the trunk of her mom's car.

"Are you sure?," Scarlett questioned, already feeling her privacy being violated, "I can help unload my stuff."

"Yes child, and besides, we have to take a look through your belongings anyway to make sure everything is God-approved."

Fucking great, she thought, of course he's going to have to rifle through my panties and bras.

Sister Edith started towards the large brick building, signalling for Scarlett to follow her. Quickly, she caught up to the nun, not wanting to already be in the Headmaster's bad books. Once inside, she took her to a small office and told her to sit down. "Here is your timetable. It looks like your first class tomorrow morning is Religion with Father John. He gives the best sermons, I'm sure you'll greatly benefit from him," the Sister said, eyeing her knowingly. "Let me check which dorm you're in."

As Sister Edith was busy searching through the mountains of paper on her desk, Scarlett glanced over her classes. Religion, English, Biology, and Chapel. I guess it's structured like a normal semester but just with way more Jesus time?

"Aha! There we go. It says here that you are placed in Elizabeth House, and, oh, you already have a roommate!" Scarlett froze. She assumed she would be getting her own room, as it's an all-girls school, and well, she's... here for a reason.

"Alright, I think I have you all signed in. Tomorrow you can get your books, but I'll give you this." Sister Edith handed her a plastic card that read out her name. "This is your key card, it will get you into the mess hall to eat, as well as the gymnasium centre. Now let's get your belongings, and get you settled into your room."

                                                          —

Stepping down the stairs, Scarlett looked over to where her mom had last been parked, expecting to see her there, waiting to say goodbye. Instead, in her place, stood Peter, with a cart full of her stuff, waiting. Oh. She really just left me. With a quick shake of her head, the demon's that had begun crawling around were launched away.

"Brother Peter, if you could be so kind as to show Miss Lawson to her room in Elizabeth House and help her unpack?"

"Of course, Sister. Any inappropriate things that were found in her belongings were sent with her mother, so we are all set to let her get settled."

What? What inappropriate things? It's not like I had any illegal shit.

"Alright then. I'll leave you to it. Scarlett, if you need anything, do not hesitate to ask me. I'll be in my office. Now, go meet your roommate, she is one of my star pupils, a true child of God. I'm sure she'll be a great influence.

Fuck.

A/N
She's about to meet the boys...

Please be nice 🥹 This is my first time trying to write fanfiction. I apologize, the chapter is short, but as I find my groove, they'll get longer. Also this is not edited, please have mercy on me if there are mistakes 😁