- chapter eighteen

The next morning, Neph sat in the library with her brother—cradling the edge of her book about a knight searching for the goddess of the fairy kingdom, the knight's true lover. Her brown eyes watched the pages, however, her mind buzzed about the existing circumstances. Hamza had told her the truth about Cal's sudden change in direction of their supposed future. Neph wasn't surprised but she did feel hurt. Money is above them. Caledon's validity made it clear where his loyalty belonged. Not to Rose or Neph or his father—but to money.

How can anyone accept that? How can she continue to pander to someone like Caledon? Shouldn't she forget everything about him and their fling?

But she couldn't leave what happened behind. She couldn't get over Caledon. No matter what he had done, she just couldn't let it go so quickly.

"What's wrong, my Neph?" Joseph spoke, leaning back in his chair, his book balanced on his propped leg. Lifting her attention, Neph clears her throat, adjusting the book in her hands. She couldn't express what had taken place to Joseph. He'd be furious. It'll cause an argument and that is the last thing Neph needed.

Moving the book to hide her line of sight, Neph smiles faintly;

"Yes, brother," Neph tells him. "I'm fine...this book is quite fascinating. Perhaps I should write a story about fair maidens and fairies. It'll be charming, I think. Tragic even."

Joseph studied his little sister a little longer until an exhausted sigh left his lungs. The hardcover of his book shuts loud enough to gain Neph's attention. She pretends not to notice, turning the page of her book with raised brows.

"Kelly told me what happened last night," Joseph admits, uncrossing his leg.

"Interesting...." Neph hummed, squinting.

"Didn't I tell you to stay away from that man? He's nothing but trouble—"

Neph grips her book, wishing Kelly hadn't expressed his concerns to Joseph. Sure, Kelly's actions may have been wise, however, Neph wanted nothing to do with Joseph's nagging. She would rather her Juliette's violin lessons.

"Neph—"

"Joseph," Neph looked at her brother, resting the book on the round table with her brows furrowed. She didn't know how to explain herself. All Neph could express was that she no longer wanted anything to do with Caledon. And as she thought carefully about how to form the sentence, Neph wavered. Joseph is quick to flash a look that signifies he doesn't believe whatever may come from her lips. "I am no longer in need of being around someone so selfish and deplorable. He and I will be nothing more."

"That is a lie," Joseph tells her, shaking his head at the lousy attempt to convince him. If anyone could spot a lie, Joseph could. They did grow up together after all. Despite their short time away from each other back then, Joseph knew better and could read his sister like a book. "Please do not tell me fibs. You are better than that."

Neph lowers her head, fumbling with her fingers in her lap.

"Do you love him?"

The question slipped from Joseph so quickly, that Neph couldn't believe it. She gave him a bewildered gaze, searching his handsome face as if he held the answers. She couldn't lie. She couldn't back up that lie. However, if she said no would that be a lie? Her heart couldn't belong to Caledon. That wasn't possible. No one could fall for someone so quick, can they?

Twisting her mouth, Neph's eyes grew misty—unable to hide the truth from Joseph. As the seconds went by, Neph began to suspect that she indeed fell for Caledon. Of course, she had; her stomach churned as if she had been hit with a dagger and her chest grew hot with anger when Caledon told her that he loved Rose.