Chapter 78

Aarav was not in a mood to relent. He was done with the farce and the hypocrisy of both society and his family. The way Dhruv had reacted to his decision had angered him. The ungrateful brat. But he had known it. He hadn't expected any support from him. Though Dhruv had never said he would or wouldn't but the way his brother had evaded the issue had told him what he was to expect in future.

It had been a long night and then a long day. His mother hadn't agreed with him. And he had spoken to Kanak about it for a long time last night. Well, she had done most of the talking trying to lift his spirits up and telling him positive things. And he had smiled at her efforts. He had known she was upset too but the way she had gone on and on about how everything happened for a reason and happened for the best. And that he shouldn't blame his mother over her reaction and decision after all she had had a shock at his announcement and then she didn't know much about her hence her decision. Kanak was such a sweetheart. Why couldn't his mother sense that? Why couldn't she see how much this girl would bring him happiness and peace? Why couldn't she hear how much he loved Kanak? It wasn't as if he had willingly fallen in love he had fought it as much he could but he had been helpless. And now that he knew what he wanted, what he needed he wasn't going to give up. Even if it meant leaving everything. He knew one thing he could never let go of Kanak. If for some reason they couldn't marry he knew it in his bones he would still be with her. By her side. For always. And to hell with society. But he wouldn't be a part of Singhania family either. The constraints would be too many and they would choke him slowly. Something he wasn't ready to accept. When he had gone to the office he hadn't intended to announce his resignation so he had hinted about it so it doesn't come as a shock when he actually did resign. And the uproar had been huge. Virendra uncle had walked out of the meeting while Dhruv had met him later to know the why and then, the when. And it had angered him. He had taken Kanak's call before he had gone in for the meeting and had told her he would come by later and speak to her and she had agreed just that simply. So after he had finished his other meeting with a client he had left for her home. He had been anxious. Restless. He knew what he was doing was right and yet he was thinking. It wasn't easy. Nobody mattered too much to him but his bond with his mother and choti ma were special. To let go of them would take a part of him away but he didn't know any other way. He was stubborn if anything. And he would be killing his soul if he bowed to his family's wishes and let Kanak go. He had to choose. And it was probably the most difficult thing he had ever done.

He had reached Kanak's apartment complex when he had seen the car Palak often used. So the other brat was here. It didn't take a genius to guess the reason for her visit to her sister. Dhruv must have talked. And his irritation at the immaturity of them all increased. He took the lift to Kanak's flat and found the door to be partially open. He would have entered only Kanak's firm voice defending him sifted through the open door. And he stood there listening. He heard how she stood up to Palak and he was surprised a bit. He had never heard her talking like that. The confidence, the trust, the love she had for him when she spoke was loud and clear for anyone who was even remotely interested to listen. And he felt his heart swell in pride. She truly loved him. And he could have laughed out loud. But he didn't. He did understand where her belief came from and he loved her all the more for it. However, the second he heard what madam Palak had to say to her sister who had always stood by her he saw red. Nobody spoke to Kanak like that. And he meant nobody. The girl required a much needed lesson both in manners and humility. What gave him an extra pause was the hurt he heard in Kanak's voice. The pain of being alone. And he swallowed hard. She was facing a hard time too. How could he let her face it alone? Besides he had two cents to add as well. And so he had announced his presence.

"She doesn't need your support, not now not in future," Aarav said angrily.

Palak's reaction was priceless. And at any other time he would have been vastly amused only today was not that day. Dhruv had gotten on his nerves and she had just added fuel to fire with the way she had spoken to Kanak. Color drained from Palak's cheeks as he let his anger show.