Chapter 77

Kanak sipped her tea. It was almost four in the afternoon. She sat in her little balcony looking out. The clouds were back but with sun shining through the slits it might not rain. She felt a strange excitement inside. And there was also a certain sense of calm. She had wondered about her conversation with Rohini and realized she could understand the older woman's concerns. It was amazing. They did share common things. All this while she had been concentrating on the differences between them when she should have concentrated on finding common grounds. It could be more incredible if she could bond with a woman like Rohini. Her strength amazed her. And she could see where Aarav had picked up that particular trait. They both were very strong individuals. Both beautiful people. And equally stubborn. Rohini had asked her to talk to Aarav and she had called him only he had been busy. He had told her he would come by her house later and she hadn't pushed the issue. He had seemed tense to her and she had hoped all was well at his workplace.

Kanak smiled. Exactly when had she turned so lucky? Here was a man who she had disliked, she couldn't use the word hated because it would be too strong an emotion. And disliked immensely. For the way he had manipulated her in finding Palak though now in hindsight she could understand his motivations too. Despite the dislike she hadn't been able to stop herself from grudgingly admiring the man. He had irritated her. He still did. He was still his arrogant self. But he was the most beautiful human being she could have met. She remembered how often she had cursed her luck for having met him. And now she couldn't thank her luck enough. She was the luckiest woman alive for having met Aarav, then fallen in love with him and the best, he loved her. It was enough. She sighed suddenly. She couldn't let him make a mistake by leaving everyone for her. She wasn't that greedy. But how was she going to put this across to him? Would he listen? He would. Question was would he agree? She could have pondered over the little questions for some more time only the doorbell rang. She rose and went to open the door. By the time she had reached and unlatched it, the doorbell had rung at least five more times. Who was this insistent? She was a bit irritated. As she opened the door her irritation doubled. Palak stood outside with an angry expression on her face.

The second the door opened wide enough Palak walked in purposefully and turned around to face Kanak tapping her foot impatiently. Not sure what she wanted Kanak followed immediately momentarily forgetting to latch the door.

"How could you do this?" Palak started loudly.

Kanak gave her a puzzled look then decided to not give in to her irritation.

"What are you talking about?" Kanak asked with a forced calmness.

"Don't pretend innocence di," Palak warned wagging a finger in front of Kanak and took a step closer to her, "you know what I am talking about," she said and narrowed her gaze.

"If I had known Palak I wouldn't have been asking," Kanak replied in exasperation.

"You know what you have done," Palak insisted, "how could you do this to me di? You didn't find any other man to have an affair with except that...that Aarav Singhania?" she said with distaste. "Do you have any idea who he is? He also happens to be my brother in-law in case you have forgotten," Palak went on at a rapid speed, "I told you how miserable he made me, I asked you if you had a soft spot for him and you denied it...I talked to you every single time and what do I find out," she said dramatically waving her arms around, "that you are secretly having an affair with him," she accused.

Kanak was a bit surprised. Just this morning she had met Rohini and that woman knew because Aarav had spoken to her. How did Palak find out? Did Rohini say something to her? She wasn't sure. But this was between her and Aarav and maybe those who were close to him and that list didn't include her little sister. She was sure of that.