Eighteen : Give Time

Athanasia's Perspective:

I heard a knock on my door, pulling me out of my thoughts. I have been sitting in my bed ever since I arrived with Axel and Maea driving me back home. Before I got out of the car, I gave them both some money as thanks. Axel was happy but Maea scolded him for not reading my mood, though I still insisted for them to take my payment.

Staring at those two, I can't help but see Lucas and I in them. I can't help but smile.

I shook my head when I heard another knock, pulling myself back from my daydreams. As I was about to reach for the door knob, I realized who was standing on the other side of the door, my heart starting to thump loudly and my body froze.

"Sia?" I heard Lucas call, my hand twitched, hesitating to open the door for him.

I'm afraid.

"It's alright…" he said, after letting out a sigh. "You don't need to force yourself to open the door, I'll just stand here…"

I frowned, I felt anger rushing through my veins. Not because of Lucas, but because of my hesitant self who is afraid to face her mistakes, letting others fix everything without even getting to try. I made Lucas do everything for my sake again, and I hate it. I hate how Lucas tolerates me like this, acting all mature. It doesn't even suit him, why bother doing all these for me. He already knows what I felt about him. Why is he still acting like this, then?

How much love do you have towards me?

I don't even deserve it and It's unfair. It's so unfair.

But then, I am unfair to him too.

We stood there in silence, until Lucas let out another sigh, a chuckle escaping his lips. It was a muffle but I could clearly hear his voice trembling as he began to speak. "I was the one who suggested we talk, but here I am… I don't even know what to say…"

"..." I remained silent, my frown deepened.

"But all I know is that I wanted to say sorry…"

I lifted my head, surprised. My mouth went agape as I heard his words. What is he saying right now? Does he know what he's yammering about?

I expected him to yell at me, to scold me for what I have done. I don't know exactly what I do, but I blame every single thing that happened earlier. His monotone voice, the tired look on his face, the way he was acting towards me. Everything, I made him act like that, but here I am acting like a child, thinking that a blush will be the cause of this world's calamity. But here is Lucas, who is trying his best to act not only the most caring partner but also a hardworking person who does everything all by himself.

My anger boiled, my hands clenched as it reflected my emotions. I gritted my teeth, my cheeks flushed red.

"I…"

"Stop that," I finally uttered a phrase. I looked up, staring at the door that prevents us from seeing each other. "Everything, stop everything that you're doing right now."

Lucas paused, I felt him hesitating. I didn't bother for him to reply and decided to shower everything on him, everything that I wanted to throw at him, all my thoughts and all that I felt.

"How could you say that…?" I breathed as I heaved, almost sounding like a scoff. "How could you just act like everything that would make me feel uncomfortable or hurt is yours to blame? Not everything is all about you, you couldn't just take responsibility for everything like some sort of hero. Let me tell you, you're not a hero!"

"And… and why can't you just read anything?! You take any problems that I had like some sort of calamity that would end the world!" The thought of it made my cheeks go red. "What if… what if I was just thinking stupid or something. You're one of the smartest students in college but fuck, why are you so stupid right now?!"