Two: Surprise, Surprise

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

In my mind I told myself to run when I finally got to remember the guy that I hated the most. Now standing in front of me with an amused smile on his face as he looked down on me, taking control of our height gap-which annoys me-just when I got to hear his name, I knew that I was screwed and how much of a stupid person am I forget that smug look that has been haunting me for many years.

I thought that you were gone!

"Shit..." I uttered out, surprising Lucas. He was taken aback of my reaction and suddenly laughed out loud while taking a step back to create a decent distance between us. "Gosh, I have never thought that I'd see you again..." He said cheekily, tilting his head as his hands found their way into his hoodie pockets. I just remained silent, mouth open.

I then regained my consciousness and gave myself a slap on the forehead. "How did this happen...?" I muttered, almost like a cry. I was praying deep inside that this was also just a dream that Lucas is right there standing in front of me, laughing at my reaction. I don't want to go through that hell again!

"I don't know, princess. You are the one who came in our school, why would you ask such kind of question?" Lucas replied. It was annoying me that his smile never fades as if it was stuck there forever.

Lucas then suddenly reached out for my wrist, but out of reflex, I immediately move away. "Don't touch me!!" I yelled, almost like a squeal. My voice made everyone in the park turn their way toward us with curiousity. Lucas was just staring at me, seemed to be embarrassed of the situation.

"Hey, you're making me look like I am trying to do something bad to you..." Lucas said with gritted teeth. His face looked like he was ready to attack me but I can't help but be more focused on his ears that was turning red. I don't know if I should apologize first or laugh.

I looked around and everyone were still had their eyes on us, waiting for my next move or Lucas'. As much as I wanted to embarrass Lucas here, I am also in the same predicament with him. And to my demise, I ended up smiling to others and reached for his hand to hold him and drag us out of the park, back to where I started.

"You go to school here?!" I started when we got out of that hellhole, throwing his hand off mine.

Lucas stared at his hand for a moment, quite offended and then sighed, tilting his head as if he was inclining his height to mine-which is a bit offending. "Uh, as you can see. I don't walk around in this school with an ID for nothing," he said sarcastically. That tone of his never really disappeared after 11 years, wow.

"Of all the schools..." I exasperated, running my hand on my face as I groaned in annoyance. I then took a deep breath and said, "that's it, I am going to tell mom to cancel my enrollment here. I cannot go to school here and see your face around."

"Ouch..." Lucas muttered. I know that he was only kidding but then I can't help but notice his voice down. But he immediately shrugged it off, making me ignore it.

We stood there in silence, not knowing what to do next. I was wondering that Lucas still stayed by my side, now checking his phone and texting someone. This gave me a moment to fully see him.

As much as I hate to admit it, he sure looked like he changed a lot. He's now taller than me before, looked mature. With his long black hair, he looked like he had a life full of many different experiences. And now that his unruly short hair was gone, he got his sharp jawline hidden with his hair. His eyes also got a bit serious, even though you could still see the mischievousness in it, it was easy to tell that it was holding the sights and memories of his life in 11 years.

It took him 11 years for me to notice that.

Jeez.

I thought that once a brat, always a brat. He's also a guy for goodness sake.

....

Dangerous.

I felt my cheeks turned pink, making me awkwardly looking away. I noticed how much I was checking him out that I was embarrassed to continue. Why did I stare at him in the first place?

"By the way..." Lucas' voice pulled me out of my thoughts, forcing me to turn my head back to face him. I lucky that my cheeks have calmed down, it would be troubling if I still have them, I am a hundred percent sure that he would notice it and tease me.

I jumped when Lucas leaned close that our noses touched. This time my cheek didn't turn pink, they went beet red when I met his eyes so close, staring intensely at my face. His action made me almost stumble down on the floor but somehow I didn't and stayed there, too frozen to make a move.

"Wh-What?" I stuttered. Shit.

"As expected..." He muttered, tilting his head. His move almost made me think that he was going to kiss me, it was very dangerous when I felt my heart jump by just one move. "... My mom used to show me pictures of you every year that it was exhausting... But seeing you up close..."

What?!

My eyes widened when I saw the most beautiful smile that I have ever seen. A genuine one that holds deep affection that made not only my mind but my heart a mess. I was so sure that I'm starting to hyperventilate when he showed that smile, a different kind of smile that I used to see from him. Not the teasing ones or the laughing ones, just... A smile.

"The real one looks more beautiful than the pictures...." He muttered.

....

....

Damn you.

....

"OH MY!"

I swear my soul almost left my body when I heard a high pitched voice behind us. I immediately turned to see mom with her hands on her mouth in an exaggerated expression with dad behind her who seemed to be in a bad mood as he stared at us.

"Mom!" I pushed Lucas' face, making sure that he was gone but then he was heavy enough to be able to stand his ground, though he knew that he should give me space as I went to my mom's side. "You're already done?!" I exclaimed, pulling my mom's attention to me.

"Why, of course! You can now start going to school next week!" Mom said happily. She gasped when her eyes moved back to Lucas. "Well, isn't that Lucas!!"

How come you noticed Lucas in just one look?!

"Hi, Mrs. Obelia," Lucas simply greeted.

"Huh...?" I let out a questionable sound, turning my head back and forth from mom to Lucas.

"What do you mean?" Mom frowned, pushing me towards Lucas who looked also confused. He was alright when mom greeted him but he was now finding it suspicious that mom was behaving weirdly.l and she forced us back together.

"Do you remember the photo I showed you?" Mom reminded me, bringing me to flashback.

A boy who looked like he has the same age as me, smiling on the picture with a girl by his side, brooding. He has long black hair, tied into a bun, his red eyes glistened as he stared into the camera, smiling so brightly. As much as I wanted to admit that he looked handsome, I can't help but wonder if I have seen him somewhere.

Oh no.

"Wait... Diana, don't tell me..." Dad finally spoke up which was too late, I already got the dots connected.

....

....

....

....

This cannot be happening.