TWENTY THREE: TOUGH COOKIE

"If you spit out another poison about her, I swear to God, Mom, I won't ever step into this place again!" Ivan's voice boomed, reverberating against the walls of the room.

Ana stood just outside the room, her heart pounding as she strained to make out the words being exchanged within. Ivan's voice, laced with anger, cut through the air like a sharp blade, and her curiosity combined with the right share of concern pushed her to listen closely.

Her brows furrowed, confusion gnawing at her. What could be the reason for this heated clash between her husband and his mother? She had felt the tension building in the household lately, but the exact cause remained a mystery.

The matriarch's retort was more subdued, but laced with a venomous undercurrent. Ana strained to hear her response, but her words were lost in the shuffle of emotions echoing within the room.

She glanced down the corridor, contemplating whether to intervene or not. She wanted to stand by Ivan, but she also understood the complexity of familial ties. As much as they disagreed, this was a battle between mother and son, and Ana felt a pang of sympathy for the strain it put on both of them.

However, before she could make up her mind, she heard loud footsteps and the smack of the door being forcefully opened. Ana found herself standing face to face with a seething Ivan. His face was flushed with anger and his shoulders were taut with a tension she had never seen before.

Her heart sank a little, but the embarrassment of being caught eavesdropping froze her, leaving her looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

Ivan's gaze bore into her, a mix of surprise, irritation, and something else she couldn't quite decipher. The tense silence that stretched between them felt almost suffocating. Ana struggled to find her words, her mind racing to come up with some kind of explanation for her presence in the hallway.

His voice, when it finally cut through the silence, was sharp and laced with an edge she rarely heard. "Eavesdropping, Ana?" His tone was accusatory, and she felt a flush of shame rising to her cheeks.

However, when she tried to open her mouth to finally say something in her defense, he moved an arm around her waist and ushered her away from the room he came out of.

"Don't say a word," he gritted out into her ear, and Ana realized she had no choice but to shut her mouth and wait for the right moment to speak her peace.

They got into the car waiting at the driveway, and as soon as they were out of the massive entry gates, he surprised her by punching the button on his side. The glass separator slid up, effectively cutting them off from the driver's earshot.

The interior of the car suddenly felt more intimate, and she could feel the tension radiating from Ivan. She stole a quick glance at him, his jaw clenched and his gaze fixed on the road ahead. She knew he was angry, but she also sensed something else beneath the surface. Something more than anger.

She decided to break the silence, to at least attempt to address the situation. "Ivan, I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I was just—"

A gasp escaped her when Ivan turned with the speed of light and pulled her onto his lap. "I don't want to hear it."

His voice was low and rough, his grip on her waist firm. The proximity of their bodies sent a shiver down her spine, and she felt her heart racing even faster.

"I just want you to be with me. I want you to promise me that you'll never leave my side. Say it!"

Ana wasn't sure what was happening—that was what got him into such a mood. What was he so afraid of?