V.

Hazels POV

The next day
26th October, 2015
6:30 PM

"The last murder happened on the 24th, which means that today is the day another murder might occur, right?" Alexi continued, "The killer strikes every two days." The students at school were trembling. Every person I passed in the hallways in the morning seemed to be shaking, their expressions twisted in fear.

School had ended 30 minutes ago. After 6, remedial/extra classes for the students began. I had extra classes for Physics since I almost failed my recent Physics test, so I had to stay back. Mythra and Alexi also had extra classes for Math.

The sky was slowly turning orange as the sun set, and the three of us decided to stick together for as long as we could, ensuring that none of us would get attacked.

"We're probably safe for today. If the murderer wanted to kill someone today, they would have done it already. Don't they usually attack around 11-12 in the morning?" Mythra explained, trying to calm us down.

"How can you be so sure, though?" Alexi spoke, furrowing her eyebrows.

"She might be right. But, if they do attack someone today, then we should probably start worrying." I added in, giving Alexi a reassuring smile even though I'm paranoid on the inside.

The next few minutes passed in tense silence, broken only by the sound of our footsteps echoing through the empty corridors. Then, a strange, unfamiliar scent wafted under my nose.

"You guys smell that?" Mythra spoke, lifting a hand up to pinch her nose.

"It's probably fart." I brushed it off.

"It's not fart." Alexi smacked my arm. "It's something else."

The smell was awful, filling the air and making it hard to breathe. We exchanged worried glances and continued down the hallway. As we made our way, the stench grew worse, causing coughs to erupt from my throat.

"Holy shit, what is that?" Alexi coughed. Mythra tried to fan the smell away with her hand, but it just wouldn't flee.

"It smells like something's rotting," I said, trying to locate the source of the foul odor. For a moment, I thought it might be dead rats. Then, I realized it was coming from the Physics classroom. I pointed at the door.

The door was already ajar, and from my angle, I could see a leg on the cold classroom floor. Dark thoughts began to creep into my mind. Slowly, I approached the classroom, and our blood ran cold.

It was a body, a student's corpse, lying on the ground with an "F" carved all over his arms and legs with a knife. The stench now seemed poisonous, suffocating. Flies swarmed all over his body, feasting on his limp figure. It was the same person who had talked about Hazel in the interrogation room.

Everyone thought that the killer was targeting only the teachers, now he/she is killing students as well.

——*——

27th October, 2015
4:32 PM

Alexi Sloavanski, you're up next," the officer called. Alexi shared a nervous glance with me and stood up, walking into the room while the door shut behind her. I was overwhelmed, scared. A jumble of emotions flowed through me that I couldn't quite describe, but fear was the dominant feeling.