IV.

Hazels POV

25th October, 2015
9:35 AM

Classes were still in session. Anxiety has been gnawing at me for the past few days. I was the one who discovered both bodies, so naturally, everyone would be suspecting me by now. The mere thought of people pointing fingers at me and accusing me of such brutal acts sent shivers down my spine. I was innocent.

As I sat in my chair, my leg bounced nervously, and I could feel the weight of glares from my classmates. They whispered to each other, shooting suspicious looks in my direction. I so desperately wanted to defend myself, to tell them that I wasn't responsible. But would they believe me? The only people I had by my side were Alexi and Mythra, but what if even they began to suspect me as well?

"Alright, everyone, please continue reading on page 157. I'll be back in a moment," Mrs. Ross our history teacher, announced before stepping out of the classroom. As soon as she left, the room fell silent. I buried my head in my book, struggling to make sense of the words on the page. Once again, my mind seemed to be elsewhere, refusing to focus on the text in front of me.

I heard footsteps approaching, growing louder with each step. I lifted my head to see a girl standing in front of me. Her brown hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, and she wore a pink sweater over her uniform. She stood at my desk, a smug expression on her face.

Amelia Lockwood.

"Well well, it's the one and only Hazel Brooke, or should I say, a murderer?" She smirked, her friends snickering at me behind her. She hated me, she always hated me no matter what I do.

"Leave me alone, Amelia." I groaned. Her personality was the same as those mean girls you'd see in movies.

"Why should I? I just wanted to know if you really committed the murders. You do look like a pathetic murderer anyway." Her eyes shot glares at me, and the people sitting around me didn't even bother to meet her gaze, instead burying their noses in their books, trying to avoid drawing her attention.

I had no idea what to do. I would been saved of all this trouble if Alexi or Mythra was here, since they would tell her to stop. But me? I was just a coward, I couldn't even get the guts to stand up for myself, fearing that it would lead to a catfight.

"You're the one who killed the teachers, didn't you?" She bent down, snatching the book from my hands and throwing it on the floor. "Filthy creatures like you deserve to go to places worse than hell." she scowled at me in disgust, her acquaintances behind her doing the same. Amelia must've spread the news to the whole class, blaming me for the murder.

"I- I didn-"

I was frozen in place, my heart pounding in my chest. The whole class was watching, and I felt like I was suffocating under their judgmental stares. Amelia's words cut through me like a knife, and I struggled to keep my composure. "Aww, look at her.. scared of being caught guilty." She raised her hand up to grab my collar. "You damn murderer-"

"Amelia Lockwood." Mrs. Ross spoke sternly, glaring at Amelia. She stepped inside the classroom. Her voice made the whole class go silent. "Sit down, child." She sighed in annoyance while mumbling something under her breath.

"Yes Mrs. Ross." Amelia put on a wide smile for the teacher and turned back to give me one last glare. I could feel Amelia's hatred burning into me as she returned to her seat, and I knew this wasn't over. "Stupid bitch.." she mouthed from her seat, scowling at me as my heart pounded heavily.

——*——