VIII.

The first light of dawn begins to gently paint the sky in hues of pastels as birds flee, announcing the break of day.

As the rest of the world stirs awake, so do Finn and Thalia, sprawled on the shore where they had found themselves in the quietude of the night.

Finns eyes flutter open, adjusting to the delicate dawn.

Once he becomes aware of the sand beneath him, his initial disorientation fades.

He abruptly sits up, glancing beside him to find Thalia in a peaceful slumber as the rhythmic sound of waves lapping against the shore echoes in the back.

He extends a hand to shake her awake, receiving a prolonged whine.

"Come on! We need to go home."

With a yawn, she stretches before sitting up and rubbing his eyes, her tousled hair kissed by the morning breeze.

Finn stands up, grabbing Thalias hand to help her rise.

As they brush off the remnants of sand, her eyes remain glued onto him, as if awaiting something - perhaps an acknowledgement of his words from last night.

He takes notice to her staring, but chooses to ignore it. "How did we even end up here?"

"You fell asleep first."

The car slices through a breeze, messing up their hair while sunlight streams through the open windows.

Sat in the passenger seat, Thalia hesitates over putting her thoughts into words.

She keeps her gaze on Finn as he drives, watching how his hand is placed firmly on the wheel.

"So... how do you feel about Camille?"

He slightly raises his eyebrows at her inquiry, clearing his throat. "I like her, why?"

"Well, that's a vague fucking response." She snickers.

He chuckles. "What do you want me to say? I think she's really amazing. I'm open to making this work, even after I go home."

"How can you be so sure? I mean, you literally just met her."

Finn falls into silence, and Thalia can feel the poking sense that she has said something wrong.

"I'm sorry. If you really like her, then that's great" she smiles, "I'm happy for you."

He simply returns the smile with a nod, and doesn't speak any further. The rest of the car ride continues in pure silence.

As they're nearly about to reach home, Thalias phone buzzes with a text message.

"Oh!" She abruptly yells out, her eyes lighting up.

Finn flinches. "What? Who died?"

"No one. Jun wants us to swing by right now. They're finally letting us meet their girlfriend!"

He steals a glance at the brunette. "Oh wow, really? I was starting to doubt she was even real."

Steering the car, he makes a U-turn to reroute them to Junipers apartment.