VI.

After the instance last night, Thalia couldn't bear to face him that soon, even if it meant lying dormant in bed.

She lent herself some time to think things through, and opted to sleep on the couch.

As for Finn, he couldn't receive a hint of sleep all night. Perhaps an hour or so, but the rest were spent having to tolerate the restless and tantalising regret.

Why did he pull away? All he desired and yearned for was within reach, handed to him on a silver platter, yet he withdrew.

Despite his intense longing for Thalia, he couldn't shake the fear of potentially hurting her or complicating their friendship. In that moment, his conscience won over his desires; If only he had been aware that he'd stay up all night regretting his choice.

As Finns eyelids flutter open, he's greeted by the patter of raindrops cascading against the vast windowpane, and the cacophony of thunder.

Uncertain of the hour, he nonetheless seizes the opportunity to unleash himself from bed, bolting toward the door with one thing in his mind.

He knows what needs to be done, and for once, he's sure of it.

Finn enters the living room to find Thalia reclining in serenity on the lengthy couch, her head comfortably cushioned by a small, plush pillow, and a duvet draped over her form.

Behind her, the window showcases the trees swaying vigorously in the relentless gusts of wind, their branches contorted by the force of the rainfall.

A warm smile graces Finns lips as he approaches her, kneeling on the floor.

He reaches a hand up to her face, delicately tucking her hair behind her ear. His palm cups the side of her face, his thumb brushing against her cheek.

He adores the idiosyncrasies of Thalia, like her habit of chewing on her lower lip when nervous, her tendency to scoff and roll her eyes at almost anything anyone says.

Finn has memorised everything about this girl. She's like a cherished book that he can't seem to put down.

With nothing to do, he could lay and just look in her eyes.

His desire to learn and understand every facet of her being is insatiable, and he knows he'll never tire of her presence.

"Are you watching me sleep, weirdo?"

His heart flutters once she stirs awake, her lips emitting a warm chuckle at his taken aback reaction.

"Morning." He mumbles, rubbing his thumb against her cheek once more.

"What time is it?"

"I'm not sure. Around 5am."

Thalia groans in annoyance, tightly squeezing her eyes shut as he chuckles. Her own hand reaches up to be placed atop Finns.

"I'm sorry for waking you. It's storming outside, that rarely ever happens here."

"I hate-"

"Rain. I know."

A light chuckle slips past her lips as her gaze locks in with his. The distant rumble of thunder is barely audible as she focuses solely on the figure kneeling before her.

Everything else ceases to exist, leaving only the two of them in that moment.

Finn doesn't have to express it with words, Thalia can sense his regret for pulling away last night. It's evident in his gaze, his touch, the softness in his voice.