IX

"HE'LL TAKE OVER"

ELIJAH'S POV

Shadows coiled around us like serpents, thick and suffocating, as we combed the dark forest for Sophie and Joyce. Three days had swallowed them whole, leaving behind only a gnawing emptiness and unanswered whispers. Beside me, Lucas, my frenemy, moved with an unsettling calm, a stark contrast to the raging maelstrom within me.

A police officer cut through the oppressive silence, his voice heavy with regret. "Mr. Veloso," he addressed Lucas, "we can't continue the search tonight. We'll resume at dawn."

I braced myself for the volcanic eruption, the fury I expected to boil over from Lucas's stoic facade. Instead, he surprised me with a simple, "Alright."

My frustration ignited. "Lucas, are you insane? We can't just stop! They're out there! Don't you care? Don't you care about Sophie?"

His hand shot out, gripping my collar with an iron fist. His voice, though quiet, crackled with barely contained rage. "You, of all people, questioning me about caring? Where were you, Lazy, when the world swallowed them whole? I love Sophie, more than you could ever fathom. But these men's lives aren't ours to gamble with. Wherever she is, I know she's strong. She'll survive."

He released me, the tension lingering in the air like the acrid tang of smoke. Then, without another word, he vanished into the encroaching darkness. I stood there, stunned, the echo of his words a bitter pill on my tongue.

Later, when the officers escorted me back to town, their words were the balm of reason on my raw emotions. "He cares, Mr. Veloso," the chief reassured me. "His love for her runs deep, just manifested differently. Have some empathy."

Empathy. A foreign concept when my own fear thrummed like a maddened bird in my chest. But Lucas was right. Sophie was a warrior, forged in fire and grit. She'd find her way back. But a seed of doubt remained, taking root in the fertile soil of my worry.

I tried reaching Lucas, a sheepish apology clinging to my tongue, but he was a phantom, unreachable and silent. Perhaps I'd pushed him too far. Perhaps, for now, silence was the only bridge I could offer.

Tonight, the forest whispered secrets through the rustling leaves, taunting me with its hidden depths. My friends were out there, somewhere in its tangled heart. And even though I was too "lazy" to move mountains, for them, I'd try. If not for a rescue, then for a whisper of hope, a torch in the gathering darkness.

LUCAS' POV

Eight days of pounding, bone-deep tremors that echoed the caged fury within my skull. Each throb whispered promises of a usurpation, a venomous takeover that promised chaos and whispered of a past before. "This body was mine. I am its true owner," it hissed, the voice slick with ancient malice, "before she made you. I won't let them destroy my domain."

The voice, a chorus of shadows given form, grew stronger with each stolen night, nourished by the echoes of Sophie's terror. When she spoke of the forest, of its twisted shadows and lurking whispers, the voices within danced like ghouls on a moonlit stage. Her fear, an unwitting offering, fueled their malevolent hunger, their promises slithering deeper into my mind.

It gnawed at the edges of my sanity, warping perception, twisting memories. The lines blurred between present and past, reality and nightmare. Sometimes, I saw visions of a time before, a glimpse of eyes like molten gold and a voice that held the power to shatter mountains. And then, the darkness, a gaping maw swallowing everything but the bitter echo of its hunger.

But then came Sophie, a beacon of warmth amidst the encroaching shadows. Her laughter, a melody that defied the cacophony within, her touch, a grounding force against the tide of madness. Yet, with each confided fear, with each whispered nightmare of the forest, the voices inside roared, a ravenous beast yearning for release.

Eight days of battleground within my own skull, and still, I held the line. With gritted teeth and a prayer whispered through parched lips, I kept the beast at bay. For Sophie, for the light she held in her eyes, I would wage this internal war, my mind a battlefield etched with scars of defiance. The echoes might scream, the hunger might gnaw, but I would not surrender. Not while the world still held echoes of her laughter, not while my heart still pulsed with the rhythm of her name.

Eight days, an eternity spent wrestling with shadows, and still, I stood. Each dawn brought a fragile victory, a reprieve snatched from the jaws of darkness. For eight days, the war raged within, and for eight days, I held the line. For her, for hope, for the promise of a future unchained, I would keep fighting. And when the dawn finally breaks free from the suffocating grip of night, I will walk out of this prison of self, and into the light, ready to reclaim the world for the girl with eyes like stars and a laugh that defies the darkness but then three days ago, the world swallowed Sophie and Joyce whole. No trace, no whisper, just an aching void where laughter once echoed. I swallowed my pride and sought help at the police station. Even Elijah, the king of procrastination, surprised me with his willingness to join the search.

The harsh sunlight flickered through the tangled canopy, dappling the forest floor in a mosaic of light and shadow. Every snapped twig, every flutter of wings, sparked a flicker of hope in our chests, only to be dashed anew by the echoing silence. Three hours crawled by, each minute stretching into an eternity of dust-dry throats and mounting dread.

As the sky bled into bruised purple, the officer's voice broke the oppressive quiet. "Mr. Veloso," he intoned, his words heavy with exhaustion and unspoken sympathy, "are you certain this is where you last saw them?"

I swallowed, the taste of dust and despair thick in my mouth. "This is where we were finishing our film," my voice raspy with desperation. "Then... they were gone. Sophie, she looked pale, almost feverish. I thought maybe she went home, didn't want to worry me. And as for Joyce..." I trailed off, the words sticking in my throat like thorns. My nonchalant lie tasted bitter on my tongue, even in the face of my own mounting panic.

The officer's gaze held a flicker of doubt, but he simply nodded, the unspoken question hanging heavy in the air. I knew what he was thinking - a flimsy story, a desperate cover for something more sinister. But the truth was a tangled mess, a storm swirling in my head that threatened to break free. Could I explain the voices, the whispers promising control, the gnawing sense that something ancient and terrible pulsed beneath the surface of this forest? No, there were things no human ear was meant to hear, things no human tongue could articulate.

So, I stood there, under the darkening sky, my silence a shroud cloaking a maelstrom of emotions. Every beat of my heart echoed the question - where were they? Were they safe? Or were they lost, swallowed by the very darkness that gnawed at my insides? Night draped its inky cloak over the land, forcing the officers to retreat. I agreed to pick up tomorrow, a mask of calm hiding the tempest raging within. Why this eerie stillness inside when my heart echoed with despair? Why this measured walk when my soul screamed for a frantic sprint?

Fear, once a chilling serpent at my throat, slithered away, replaced by a burning sun in my gut. Sophie. Her name echoes through the ancient trees, a beacon in the encroaching darkness. I know her fire, her indomitable spirit, but even the brightest stars need a guiding hand. Elijah's fury, a spark in the tinderbox of my soul, set me ablaze with purpose. I walk where fear dared not, where shadows dance and secrets whisper. Not for myself, not for this cursed land, but for you, my love. Every fallen leaf, every snapping twig, a step on the path I forge for your return. This forest, once a cage, now bears the mark of my promise - a map carved in moonlight, whispered on the wind. You hear me, Sophie? This is my sacrifice, my love song etched in thorns - I will find you, or this forest will swallow my last breath. This, my sun, this is my oath.