Chapter 4

Even though it is scorching out, the water is ice cold. So to keep from chickening out I take off running and jump right in. It’s so cold though I come up gasping for air. “Come on in guys, the water is just right.” I say as my teeth are chattering. Evan starts laughing his ass off and tells me, “no man you go right ahead and enjoy yourself I’m going to sit right here and soak in the sunlight.”

I hear a shriek and when I look I see Ever poised with her feet barely out of the water. “It is soooo cold.” She shivers. “Oh come on are you going to be a wuss like Evan or are you gonna go for it.” I smile mischievously as I watch my brother sneak up behind her. She squeals as Evan picks her up. “Let me down, don’t you dare, Evan I swear to God, you better not!” He laughs, “What are you gonna do, other than get a little wet.” He jumps in the water holding her.

“Oh my God I cannot believe you just did that, you big jerk.” But the anger does not quite reach her eyes. “Now now you know if I had not thrown you in, you would still be dipping your toes in. Now you can enjoy the cool water.” He teases playfully. “Oh I will get you back for that. Just you wait. When you least expect it, I will be there.” She promises with a twinkle in her eye.

‘I can’t wait to see this.’

"Hey there what are you doing over here all by yourself?" Ever asks me as she sits down next to me. "Nothing just enjoying the sunlight and trying to warm myself back up."

The water was so cold I think I actually may have shrunk a few inches. But sitting here on the sand bar is really warm. Just looking out at the view here is relaxing. You have the warm white sand that leads down to the calm water. There is plenty of trees for shade.

Ever touches my arm to bring me back into the real world, "Yeah I like it here to, its soothing and there is a lot of fun to be had." "So what are you two up to over here, you better not be helping her scheme to get back at me." We all laugh as Evan lays down on the other side of me. "Nah, I'm gonna leave that up to her; I think she can come up with something really good all be herself. She doesn't need little ole me."

Just as we are packing up, a jeep pulls up loaded down with people and I groan to myself. "What is it?" Ever asks me. "Just someone I do not want to see right now." I say at the same time Evan says hey Emily, how's it going."

Ever grabs my hand, "Hey don't let people like that get to you." "You know them?" "Yeah I've seen her around, and I'm not that impressed." I am thankful for her words and encouagement, but I can not quit thinking about her hand holding mine. It's so nice and solft, I wonder what the rest of her feels like. 'Stop it, just shut up.'