Chapter 15

We're going to the moon, those were words I never thought I'd hear spoken to me. We left the temple, resting on the river banks. The heat beat down on us and we listened carefully.

"I'll teleport us to the moon and we'll arrive inside the foyer of the Guanghan Palace, also known as the Moon Palace. We'll be led to the Throne Room by the Moon Hare—or Moon Rabbit, White Hare, Jade Rabbit, whatever his name is—and meet Chang'e."

"And this is all happening now?" I asked, concerned.

"When else?" Ushi asked excitedly, overly excited. Abahai was listening closely, but he also seemed troubled. Because he's jealous, Ushi had said. Except, it was genuine dread.

"This doesn't make sense."

Xiong arched his eyebrow. "Why not?"

Abahai tried his best to explain. "Why does Chang'e want the Elixir of Immortality? Okay, fine, because she wants to be reunited with Hou Yi? Sure, but that sounds sketchy."

"Or maybe you've never heard of the concept of love."

That was a very low blow for Abahai. He stood up, defiant. "What the hell did you say?" He demanded, pure anger raging in his eyes. No, no, I thought desperately. I looked back at Xiong, mouthing—Xiong, calm down.

"Whoa, whoa, let's not get complicated here," Ushi cried out, tugging on Abahai's hand to sit down. "Abahai, sit your ass down," she ordered sternly in broken English.

"Abahai, please," I pleaded as he shot a nasty look at Xiong Lee.

He finally sat down, glowering at Xiong. "You know, I don't owe you anything. Anything. I should have kicked you out of my family's gift shop the second you walked in. Make no mistake, I'm only going because Xiran and Ushi are my friends and I don't trust you to be alone with them."

"How kind of you."

"Xiong, shut up!" I hissed as Xiong stood up, dusting his knees. "Xiong—"

"We will meet back here by midnight." He turned his back on us, walking down the path. Abahai suddenly let out a snarl of anger, curling up his fists by his side. I won't stand for this...

I stood up, marching after Xiong. "What the hell, Xiong?" I yelled, grabbing onto Xiong's shoulder to stop him. He turned around, crossing his arms. "Why were you stooping so low? This i-is so childish, you can't do that about Abahai!"

"He clearly doesn't trust me! You know, you and Ushi aren't the most quiet people, I heard every word of how Abahai told you not to trust me!" Xiong retorted, his face red. "Xiran, it's either him or me."

"I–what? Do I need to pick? I've only known you for a few days! And stop deflecting my questions—"

Xiong frowned. "Really? I'm deflecting? What about you? Maybe Nǜshì Lian was wrong to pair us up together... We clearly can't get along well, Xiran. This isn't going to work, I'm afraid."

I was horrified when his frown deepened. What about Bàba and Māmā? They asked for Nǜshì Lian to come to our house, and they looked so happy when Xiong and she came to the door. If Xiong leaves, I'll disappoint my parents. My stomach twisted into knots as I realized I was bringing shame to the family.

"Wait, please, don't go."

"This is a courtship of convenience. Nothing else, Xiran." Xiong turned his back on me, continuing his walk down the path, heading right back into Hēi'àn De Mìmì. I was left speechless, seething, and sad.

It was painful to hear the ugly truth.