Chapter 5

Once we got Ushi to calm down, we sat at Golden Alley with our boba tea. I slurped the bubble pearls from my milk tea. A tourist suddenly came, holding a map, asking for directions. "Do you know where Xi Tou Village is?"

Abahai peered down at the map, wrinkling his nose. "Huh, that's weird, I don't think your map is accurate, sir. Hēi'àn De Mìmì isn't on it."

"Hēi'àn De Mìmì?" the tourist laughed. "Aren't you locals? Don't you know that this town isn't real, it's not actually in Asia."

I set down my boba, confused. "What do you mean? Hēi'àn De Mìmì is a real place, we're right here. Sir, are you okay?"

"You children are so funny," he snorted, folding up his map. "I'll find my way to Xi Tou Village on my own, thank you for the help."

The tourists left Golden Alley, leaving us puzzled. Hēi'àn De Mìmì isn't real? What did he mean? I thought oddly. Suddenly, I realized that Xiong wasn't with us anymore. "Where did he go?"

"I'm glad he's gone, that creep," Abahai grumbled. "That tourist doesn't know what he is talking about."

"Hēi'àn De Mìmì isn't real?" Ushi asked in English, puzzled. "Guys, take a minute to translate it from Chinese to English."

I paused, thinking intensely. Hēi'àn de mìmì meant dark secrets. I sank to the ground, rubbing my temples, and grabbing my boba. I took big gulps to shake off the bad feeling. "Impossible. Hēi'àn De Mìmì is real, it's our hometown."

"And even if Hēi'àn De Mìmì means dark secrets," Abahai added in an exaggerated voice. "The other townsfolk would have noticed. And what about the other tourists, it makes no sense, Ushi. Don't let the stress take over your senses."

"Yeah, totally." Ushi tipped her head, sighing. "Wait, Xiran, don't you have your matchmaking session today?"

"Yes, Māmā will probably want me home early," I said, finishing my boba tea. Abahai offered to throw it out for me. "Thank you, guys. I'll see you after the session at the tourist shop, I'll let you know the results."

"If you get married, tell me!" Ushi shouted, giggling.

Abahai chuckled, but he didn't look very...content. He glanced at me, smiling, or trying to. "I'm very happy for you, Xiran," he said, nodding. "Good luck with the matchmaking session. Just think of it like a test."

"Like that helps a lot," I said, waving goodbye. As I left the Golden Alley, I was consumed with my thoughts. Hēi'àn De Mìmì wasn't real? Maybe the nerves were stressing me out instead of Ushi. And what about the mysterious Xiong Lee? Something wasn't right with him, and I wanted to know what.