Part 4-Diabetes

A/N - Sorry if any of this is inaccurate this is mainly based of my own knowledge and research

-

Being diagnosed with diabetes was hard on Carlos. Once a sporty kid before his diagnosis, having diabetes meant it was harder to do sport and his parents were constantly worrying about his blood sugar dropping. They always packed insulin incase it was too high or sugary food and drink to quickly get it up. After they had met, TK took this position, always prepared for whatever struggle Carlos may face with his diabetes.

It was an average day, TK was on shift and Carlos was at home. He had been hitting the punching bag for hours on end, getting out his frustrations from the previous, in which he lost a family to a robbery gone wrong. Mum,dad,three kids. Carlos had told TK about this and offered to take his next shift of to help him deal with his emotions, but Carlos refused and TK knew better than to pressure him at that moment.
After a while, Carlos started to get lightheaded but it didn't bother him, he thought he was just tired. After a few more punches and a kick he felt his knees failing him, dropping him to the ground with barely any strength left. With the energy he had remaining, he managed to make it over to the side of the sofa where he left his phone. He knew he should probably call 911 but who was he to do that. If his police friends knew he had called 911 as a cop he would never live it down.

After 2 rings TK picked up. Carlos was glad he wasn't on a call, he really needed to hear his reassuring words. 'Hey baby! How are you' TK voice said happily through the phone
'TK...fell....head...hurts...weak'
'Baby are you okay?' Tarlos asked, signalling for Nancy and Tommy to come closer to the phone
'Boxing.....collapsed...I feel...weak'
'Have you checked your blood sugar?'
Carlo hadn't even thought about that. He felt like he was becoming delirious. He checked the app connected to his Dexcom. 'Damn it' Carlos thought to himself. It was low. Too low. He wondered how long it had been like that. He groaned in pain as he heard TK trying to get him to tell him what his blood sugar level was. Carlos was close to passing out. He didn't hear the sirens through the phone. He didn't hear the footsteps coming down the hallway to their loft.

The door opened and TK ran over to him. He rubbed his sternum to try and get him awake again. Nancy quickly went over to the fridge to get him something to get his sugar back up. Tommy kneeled next to Carlos, getting an IV in his arm to get some fluids in him. Carlos hadn't even realised how hot he felt, his temperature was rising rapidly. Carlos awoke with a groan, trying to sit up however the paramedic crew kept him down. 'Did you not think that your blood sugar would get low with all this boxing' TK asked softly, not wanting Carlos to feel any worse than he already probably did.
'Wasn't thinking straight' he mumbled in response
'Clearly' Nancy said chuckling while she gave TK some applesauce,a spoon and apple juice to raise his sugar levels.

As Carlos drunk his apple juice and slowly ate his applesauce (with the assistance of TK) he started to feel better. The team managed to get him on the sofa, take his IV out and leave him in the safe hands of his paramedic husband. 'We can do the last couple hours on shift without you Strand, look after your boy' Tommy said patting him on the shoulder, smiling at them both. TK nodded in response and watched them leave their loft before turning his attention back to Carlos. 'I can't belie-'
'Please babe not now I'm tired' Carlo said groggily, his energy was wiped and he was barely keeping his eyes open. 'Fine' TK said 'but don't think you won't have a lecture when you wake up'
'I look forward to it...' Carlos mumbled sleepily. TK quickly picked him up as he was in a too fragile state to walk. He laid him in bad, took of his sweat drenched clothes and put him in his pyjamas. TK quickly changed into comfier clothes and joined his sleeping husband in bed. He pulled there covers over them both and wrapped an arm around his waist. 'Love you babe' TK said before closing his eyes. 'Love you more' Carlos replied smiling weakly.

No matter what problems they faced, they knew they would always love each other. Although the next morning Carlos didn't feel too much like that as his husband turned into Paramedic Strand and listed all the consequences of not keeping his blood sugar levels even, while Carlos couldn't stop laughing at how serious he was.