chapter eight

🐇𓍢ִ໋🌷͙֒🪐...

two weeks had passed. the group hadn't spoke since prom night, all taking their time to mentally heal and process it all.

valentina and evan were especially wondering when they were going to talk about what happened with gabby.

valentina was laying in her room on her bed, scrolling through instagram when suddenly she got a call from ryan.

she was surprised to see his call, and quickly answered. "ryan?" she answered in a questioning tone.

"hey, val. how are you doing?" ryan wondered. "i'm okay. you're still in the hospital, aren't you? sorry i went all ghost on you after you practically saved us all. how are you holding up?" valentina asked him, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"i actually just got released. i'm home resting, but i still have to take shit easy." ryan informed. "yeah, i bet. you were bleeding out and everything, it's a miracle you're still here, you know?" valentina scoffed.

"yeah, it is. are you sure you're doing okay, though? jess told me she or anyone else hasn't heard from you since prom." ryan mentioned. "i really am fine, i'm just taking time to process all that shit. seeing gabby dead and you nearly die was a lot to take in." valentina commented.

"mhm, i get it. she told me evan's been wanting to talking to you." ryan said. "oh, has he? i've been wanting to reach out too, but i don't know what to say to him. what he did was just really fucked." valentina sighed, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

"i think you should talk to him. i hate to admit it, but i really do think that besides the whole bet bullshit he really does like you, val." ryan stated. "really?" valentina grinned lightly.

"yeah. i mean— he couldn't like you anymore more than i ever did, but you know." ryan joked. valentina laughed. "yeah, alright. i'll text him. i'll come visit maybe in awhile or tomorrow if i'm not busy." she told him.

"sounds good. bye." ryan replied. "bye." valentina said before she hung up. she reluctantly went to her and evan's messages.

evan

hey :

: hey

how are u :

: i'm fine

: how are you

i'm ok :

are u free to meet up
at the diner sometime
today to talk? :

: yeah i'm playing some
ball with my dad rn

: i'm free i'm like an
hour though so i'll lyk

okay :

valentina decided to stop rotting in bed and get ready. she took a quick shower and put on her school mascot sweats and a black tank top with converse.

she spent the rest of her time watching tv downstairs, switching in between channels but all she could hear was about the tragedy that occurred at her prom.

valentina turned off her tv and went to scroll on instagram, but she came across a recent post from john carver. it was a photo of ryan resting in the hospital, taken las tonight when he was asleep.

"Looks like he's well. Not for long." the caption wrote. valentina furrowed her brows, screenshotted the post and sent it to ryan.

ryan

*1 attachment* :

wtf :

: what the fuck

: that was last night?

yeah :

what does he mean
"not for long" ?? :

ryan be careful :

don't let your parents
or anyone let you
stay home alone :

: i'll be fine

: he's probably just trying to scare us

i hope so :

valentina got a text from evan and opened it.

evan

: i'm on my way to the diner now

alr i'll be there in 5 :

she hurriedly hopped into her car and drove to the diner after alerting her parents that she was leaving.

once she arrived, she parked beside evan's car and walked inside the diner, finding evan sat at a table. they shared a brief glance before valentina made her way to the table and sat beside him.

"hey." she greeted. "you look better than okay." he mocked her from her text earlier. "well, yeah. i missed you." she admitted.

"i didn't think you did. but i missed you too." he answered, giving a soft smile. "you aren't still mad at me, are you?" evan wondered.

"no, not at all. i mean, gabby's dead, i can't really hate her for it. it's just— why did you tell me right after i kissed you? tell me everything." valentina said.

"mit was at school and she told me to follow her to the gym while it was empty during passing period and she just kissed me. trust me, val, i wanted to pull away but i didn't. i told you after you kissed me because it was better than my kiss with gabby. i actually felt something with you." evan told.

valentina didn't respond, taking time to understand it all. "do you really see us getting farther than this? i mean, in a relationship, you know?" she questioned with a shy scoff.

"only if you do." evan answered. "well, i do." valentina said. "good. you're mine." evan grinned. "and only yours." she smiled back. "it better stay that way." evan quipped.

"you have nothing to worry about. i only want you." valentina assured him. they were already facing each other, subconsciously leaning in. "how much?" evan wondered. "more than words can describe, i'll tell you that much." valentina said before she kissed him, again.

AUTHOR SPEAKS :

heyy, sorry for the
really short chapter guys!
i just really had to update
this book before i really forgot
about it lolll