5. Perfect Doesn't Last

I sighed, leaning back in my chair and crossing my arms. I might as well get this over and done with. I don't want him mad at me for the rest of this little visit. It'll only extend my stay here, and I plan on clocking out as early as possible. "Are you mad at me?"

"No. I'm not mad. I'm just not used to you having off days, that's all. I sometimes forget that you're not perfect." He gave me a small smile, and it was so lonely. What an interesting take on life. It's a shame he's living a lie. Now, whether I should be the one to break this to him is another story.

"And you are perfect?" I chuckled at the absurd idea. It was ridiculous to be living in such a way. I can't believe anyone went along with this little narrative of his. Actually, I can. They wouldn't want to upset their little prodigy. But he was smart enough to realise that something was amiss here. He must be.

"Well, of course I am." I looked at him, surprised. He wholeheartedly believed in the concept and had lived his life according to it. This was actually a tad bit sad. You could tell he knew no different. It was such a naive belief that something of the such was actually possible. I thought he was better than this. Perfection. What a ridiculous concept.

'Is it now? What's your idea of perfection?' Her voice echoed through my mind, and I couldn't help but feel my mood dampen. This is not the conversation I was expecting to have while doing this entire charade.

'I don't have one because it doesn't exist. There is no such thing as perfect, as much as we wish there was.' I replied, my eyes skimming over the room. It was bright and airy. What a contrast to the topic at hand. I've never really understood this obsession with perfection that people have. In the end, it gets you nowhere. In the end, you're just depressed and alone and have nothing to show for your efforts except for a fake and toxic sense of self. It must be exhausting doing so much for so little.

'How is it any different from your path of destruction? No, it wasn't your choice, but you're still bound to this path and will have to see it out possibly to the day you die. It must be lonely having people too scared to even get close to you. How long has it been since you had the validation you seek? Because we've been together for eighteen years, and I know I never let you receive it. It must have been long before that, judging by the state I received you.'

'People actually get the validation they seek? I didn't know you were such a jokester, Phoenix. Life is never that fair. Not to me. Not to him. Not to them. We both know that.' She appeared on the other side of the table, a melancholy look in her eyes. Sora was surprised by her sudden appearance, and if I'm honest, so was I. This day has been unusual, though, so I'm not sure what I was expecting. I wonder what sparked this desire to be seen.

"You know... your parents did love you. Both of you." Phoenix said, her voice sincere and full of guilt. I don't know what she felt guilty about, and I didn't care. She needed to leave before she burned everything. Hasn't she destroyed enough?

"My parents had despised me while I was in their care. They hated my very existence. They never loved me. I wasn't allowed to be loved. That's what I got for protecting my siblings. For trying to be a hero." I met her gaze, annoyed that she would even suggest something so preposterous. She knew that. So why did she bring it up other than to get a small outburst out of me? I sighed when I saw the look in Sora's eyes, realising what her intention was the entire time. She wanted me to hurt the one person who had the possibility of becoming my rock in this little charade. It was a smart move on her part. I decided to get back to the previous topic, as it seemed to be something he could handle better. Something I could handle better. Anything other than this trip down memory lane. "We're straying off topic thanks to you."

"You've never spoken about your parents to me." Sora gave me a sad smile, pity in his eyes and there was that same feeling from when we were first in the bedroom. I didn't like it. Why won't it leave me alone?

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. I should know better than to respond to her childish antics." I apologised, refusing to look in his direction anymore. He didn't deserve this.

"Don't be. I'm glad you finally managed to share that with me." He took my hand in his, and I just stared at our intertwined fingers, my mind blank. I-I don't know what to think or feel at this exact moment. It's always been hard for me to open up to me because I knew that, eventually, they would leave me without a second thought and I would be left feeling worse than I started because they would have taken a piece of me with them. I knew that feeling all too well, and it had always terrified me. So why? What was so special about him? "You've come a long way, Ankoku. I'm glad."

"The difference between him and others? He doesn't see you as a monster. You're a human being. You're you. Not some vessel of a God hellbent on destroying everything in sight." Her eyes watched me, the rubies gleaming with... pride? I have never understood anyone in this room, and I probably never will. A psychotic God and a stupid genius. What a time to be alive.

"Are you making him uncomfortable again?"