xxiv | yours

Another business party. Jai should be used to them by now but he wasn't in the mood for social gatherings today. He's usually not but today, he would do anything but take part in the event. He tried to convince Ishita to skip it, but she said it would be the last event she could attend as his assistant so she wanted to go. He laid down on the edge of the bed, watching Ishita yap away at how expensive the dress he had bought for her was as she applied her makeup. If she cleared out a few more drawers in her flat and moved them here, she would have officially moved in. Her toiletries occupied more than half of his cabinet, the sheets smelled like her, Ki preferred to curl on her lap instead of Jai's and the recommendations on his streaming services were no longer to his preferences; it was a mix of Asian dramas, supernatural and horror-thrillers. Every time Jai noticed these changes, he was not afraid or uncomfortable. He only smiled.

"Done?"

"Do you think these earrings go with the dress? Or should I pair it with something gold?" Ishita asked, holding a pair of gold earrings to her ear. She was wearing a midnight blue saree with a sleeveless sequined blouse.

"No, silver looks good."

Her eyes narrowed. "Are you saying that just so I would hurry up?"

"No. It's really good," he said, rolling off the bed to stand next to her. "Come on, astronaut. Let's go early and return early."

"What's with your aversion today?" she asked, glancing at him as she sprayed perfume on herself.

"I don't know. I just don't feel like it today," he said. Ishita stepped closer and looped her hands around his neck.

"Are you not well?"

"No, I am fine. It's just... it's fine. I'm okay. Let's go," he said, rubbing her arms once and giving them a squeeze before letting go and stepping away from her embrace.

When they arrived at the party, the investors and the board members were already present. Ishita greeted them with a polite smile as they were all familiar with her from their meetings and then excused herself. Jai didn't like letting go of Ishita but she had beelined straight towards his mother's table, a broad smile on her face. He hid his own smile and focused on the discussion. His father joined them soon and business talk slowly faded to casual personal conversations. And as expected, the topic of his marriage came.

He already dreaded it. He began looking for escape exits or hoping Ishita would come rescue him.

"Marriage is a life-time investment. You know how careful Jai is with his investments. He doesn't like to waste his time with someone he doesn't really love. It was a fair argument. I let him do his thing. He can marry whenever he wants and whoever he wants. It's his life. I trust his decisions regarding the firm and I trust his decision when it comes to his life," Pa said, shocking Jai. Only then, he realised his parents had not brought the topic of marriage since his father's birthday. When he looked at his father in question, his eyes flittered towards Ishita. Did she... Oh my God, what had she told to change their mind?

"That's fair," One board member said. "When we were young, we were pressured into marrying a woman we barely know. We weren't even given time to get to know each other. That's why all our marriages are like this."

The other men chuckled. "We may be the one in authority in the firm but at home, when our wives say something, there's no other way around it."

Jai glanced at Ishita. As if feeling his gaze on her, she turned and locked eyes with him, an eyebrow raising. All okay? she mouthed.

I love you, he mouthed back.

He saw her eyes round, the glass of pink lemonade in her hand slip. Jai's mother rushed to her aid, helping her blot out the drink on her dress with tissues. What did my son do? Ma asked her. He could read her lips.