Chapter Deici

Alissa

The walls slowly close in as I slide down to the floor. I can't breathe.

Inhale, Exhale, Inhale, Exhale. It isn't working, my vision starts to blur as tiny dots cloud my vision. I soon see nothing but darkness as I pass out.

Flashback (12 years old)

"What's that?"

a little girl points to the thick deep line starting from behind my ear going down until it is covered by my shirt.

"I don't know, I woke up with it one day"

It technically wasn't a lie since I did wake up with it one day after an episode the night before with the manager of the 'boarding school' but no need to traumatise the little kid yet, the world would do it soon enough.

"Ooo cool! I want one!"

She was so excited and looked genuinely serious which baffled me because mine will always be my burden, my trauma, my mark to forever remind me of the damage and that he owns me. 

Flashback Over

I slowly come back to reality as I start to circulate my breathing again and get it under control before I stand up to shower. I grab a pair of tracksuits and a jersey Asher gave me before heading into the ensuite. I make sure to turn the heat up so it would fog up the mirror quicker.

I stay out until I can't see my reflection before turning down the heat and stepping in. I let the water run over me, gently washing my body and especially being careful around my ribs after the last match, before getting out within 2 minutes.

I change and go through my bag before finding my favourite and only book, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, before walking over to the balcony and sitting down on one of the lounges overlooking the garden, lake and forest my 3 favourite places of this house.

Before I know it it's 4 in the morning and my throat is as dry as a desert which forces me to go down to the kitchen. I remember every floor board and stair that creaked so it was easy to make my way to the kitchen without making a sound.

I make sure no one is in the kitchen before walking in and climbing one the bench to reach the cupboard because compared to my 5 '9 height these people are giants not that I'd ever tell them because their egos are suffocating enough.

I jump down silently before turning to the sink to find Carlos sitting at the bench across from me quietly staring at me. I roll my eyes before filling up my cup and leaning up against the bench behind me glaring at him.

"why are you staring at me"

Silence. I'm met with silence before he starts signing to me.

"I haven't seen you in years"

"Thank your father for that"

I sign back when his face morphs into shock

"You know sign?"

"Yeah"

"Wow Mia didn't bother learning it when I went mute"

I just shrugged my shoulders at him before finishing up my drink washing and drying then putting it away while he watched thinking about our conversation. Before I sign goodnight and walk back to the stairs and do the same steps before walking back towards the balcony in the room.

I grab my phone and call Asher knowing he would be awake.

Call (bold Asher)

A: Hey guys

A: Hey Lissa, What's going on?

A: Nothing, just the usual except everyone in this family's ego is 10x bigger than their mansion. It's insufferable and the fact they still don't know what Mia did and she still has them all wrapped around her finger.

A: So show them the truth, you have the tape.

A: I will but first, I wanna have a little fun. On another note when are you guys coming?

A: Soon, in 3 days so actually not that long.

A: WHY 3 DAYS

A: Because we have to pack up the whole house by ourselves and you know Justin, he's going to wait till the last minute to pack his shit up.

A: True, ok go to bed it's 6 am, I'm going to go train.

A: Yeah I'll probably train as well. Wait, is that my jersey!?

I accidentally ended the call before he could finish, Oops. I get up and go back inside to change into a workout set before heading down stairs to the gym. I walk over to the treadmill and do a 3 hour run then I use the LAT pulldown machine for 30 minutes before heading over to the bench press and racking 40kgs on each side to the 20kg bar.

I know it's not smart to do it without a spotter but Asher is my spotter and he isn't here and I'll be damned if I ask anyone in this house for help. When I finish racking the weights I begin my sets taking 2-3 minute intervals between each one. Right as I'm on one of my last sets every single one of the brothers walks in.

They all stop and stare at me as I just focus on my reps and the music blasting in my ears. I pump out the rep then take my 2 minute break before Emilio, Alessandro, and Lorenzo approach me. Everyone else does their own things but is clearly ready to listen to what they have to say to me.

"You know you're not meant to do that without a spotter, right?"

I just ignore him, and perfect timing my 2 minute alarm goes off. I reposition myself under the bar before taking it off and starting my last rep but I struggle to breath as my ribs are starting to burn. I put up the bar and quickly sit up grabbing my water bottle and skulling the rest off it taking in deep breaths as I notice they all watch when Lorenzo starts to approach me. I wave him off, unrack the bar, grab my stuff and walk out.

I walk up to the room and head straight to the bathroom ripping off my t-shirt to look at my ribs.

Shit