V.1-Ch.2.3

Misaki

The Advanced Nurturing High School; Hallways

After class ended, I headed towards the gymnasium where the ceremony was being held. Alongside me were a few of my classmates, as well as other students from other classes. From the looks of it, they were already giving us some unusual and disdainful glances-considering we were Class D.

"Hm..." I grunted, glancing back at them.

"Worried about the other classes?"

I looked to my right and saw Furukawa, walking alongside me. "A little. Aside from that, what's with you? Talking to me and such."

"Who knows...?" Furukawa looked away, hiding his face so I couldn't see his expression.

I gave him an intense glare, annoyed that he didn't give me a clear answer. "You're strange, you know that?"

"Strange huh...?" he said in such a quiet and low tone.

"Hello~!!!" A loud voice came from behind us. "Horikita-san! Furukawa-kun!"

We both turned around and saw Kurino, our classmate from Class D. Apparently, she was running, chasing after us for some reason.

"What's with her?"

"Don't know."

Kurino caught up and panted out of exhaustion. "W-Wait...just for a minute please..."

"Can I help you?"

Kurino took a few breaths, then stood up tall and looked directly at me. "S-Sorry...! Whew! It's nice to meet you, I'm Kurino Marise!"

"I know. You're in the same class as me," I said. "Is there something you want?" I asked.

"Oh, right! Um...Horikita-san, will you be my friend?!"

"Friend?" I thought about what she said in class and remembered. Kurino's wish was to befriend everyone, including me apparently. "I'm sorry, but I'm not good with making friends, yet alone keeping them."

"I-Is that so...." Kurino frowned, then turned to Furukawa. "Hey Furukawa, what about you? Will you be my friend?"

Furukawa stared at her, then turned to look at me. I gave him a look, telling him that he should answer for himself. "Depends," he answered Kurino.

"'Depends'?" Kurino tilted her head, wondering what he meant.

"Tell me, what is your reason for wanting so many friends?" Furukawa asked, facing her.

"Well..." Kurino blushed, touching her fingers together. "I've...never really had many friends, so...that's why I wanted to make at least a few friends while I'm here, you know?"

"I see."

There was a brief pause and a moment of silence. Other students walked past us, heading towards the gymnasium while we stood still in the middle of the hallway.

"S-So...?"

"I'll think about it." Furukawa turned and followed behind the other students.

"I apologize, Kurino." I bowed, then I did the same. As I walked away, I noticed that Kurino stayed behind, standing still and staring at the ground with a sad look on her face.

The Advanced Nurturing High School; Gymnasium

I arrived and stood alongside my fellow Class D classmates. To our sides, there was Class A, Class B, and Class C-all first-years just like us. They stood silently, staring at the stage in the front, patiently waiting for the ceremony to start. As for Class D, they gossiped among one another, bored and tired of being here, hoping that they could leave as soon as possible.